3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2012 1:07 PM by lxiscas RSS

Suggestions about understanding how APEX is dealing with javascript and HTM

lxiscas
      Hi, Gurus:

After 5 months of using APEX, I wish I could know more about how APEX is dealing with javascript and HTML tag in PL/SQL, say, look inside APEX, not just following APEX settings and grab sample code from OTN. Could anyone recommend me any web sites or books that I could read? I particularly want to know how Oracle PL/SQL is interact with javascript or HTML to build a report in its own code, such as inside WWV_FLOW.....

Thanks a lot! :)

Sam

Edited by: lxiscas on Nov 6, 2012 12:35 PM
        • 1. Re: Suggestions about understanding how APEX is dealing with javascript and HTM
          I think all the rendering packages are all wrapped however you can look in the apex_xxxx schema (or flows_xxxxx for < apex 4) and see the structure of things.
          • 2. Re: Suggestions about understanding how APEX is dealing with javascript and HTM
            Arie Geller
            Hello Sam,

>> I particularly want to know how Oracle PL/SQL is interact with javascript or HTML to build a report in its own code

PL/SQL is a server side resource while JavaScript and HTML are client side resources. As such they don’t interact directly. The APEX engine is built with PL/SQL Web Toolkit – set of packages that allow you to use PL/SQL procedures and functions to generate HTML page code, which can include JavaScript code. The generated code is sent to client browser and run there. You can read more about it in here - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/appdev.102/b14251/adfns_web.htm.

Using the PL/SQL Web Toolkit is a very low level of programing and I hardly see the need of using such a programing in APEX 4.x, where you can use DA to declaratively or manually develop (almost) any JavaScript functionality you need. The addition of jQuery can also make your life much easier than using the Web Toolkit to generate JavaScript code.

It’s good to understand how things are working under the hood, but I wouldn’t spend too much time on this. It’s best to concentrate on how the APEX engine can help you, on its higher (declarative) level.

Regards,
            Arie.

-------------------------------------------------------
            &diams; Please remember to mark appropriate posts as correct/helpful. For the long run, it will benefit us all.

&diams; Author of Oracle Application Express 3.2 – The Essentials and More
            • 3. Re: Suggestions about understanding how APEX is dealing with javascript and HTM
              lxiscas
              Thank you very much for guide. Now I found direction to go on.

many thanks again!

Sam