This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2012 8:53 AM by 972943 RSS

Reg Oracle Certification

972943 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Guys,

Am Current working in Mainframes. I'm interested to switch to Oracle Application Developer. Am planning to do Oracle Backend (SQL and PLSQL) certification. Is it OK to do this alone for getting a job or Do I need to learn front end like JAVA or FORMS & REPORTS. Please help me out. Am totally new to this technology.

Edited by: 969940 on Nov 6, 2012 8:55 PM
  • 1. Re: Reg Oracle Certification
    bigdelboy Pro
    969940 wrote:
    Hi Guys,

Am Current working in Mainframes. I'm interested to switch to Oracle Application Developer.
    In general it can be hard for recruiter to accept this switch for techies unless you have some knowledge of the business area.
    Am planning to do Oracle Backend (SQL and PLSQL) certification.
    Doing the SQL 1z0-051 exam is probably not wasted, and if anything concentrate on that first. Then PL/SQL. Do you have DB2?.
    Is it OK to do this alone for getting a job or Do I need to learn front end like JAVA or FORMS & REPORTS. Please help me out. Am totally new to this technology.
    If you have cobol you may find some pro*cobol going.

Java is probably a steep learning curve and you start at the bottom.

Forms is probably generally on the decline in most areas .... so there are often experienced people out there.

For may find unix/linux experience/capability a plus; or a minus if you dont have it.

>
    Edited by: 969940 on Nov 6, 2012 8:55 PM
    Sometimes what's available can vary with with time and location, but having a look at the current job market may help, but remember a single job can have multiple adverts from multiple sources so a short term view can distort a picture.

But if you are not sure start by preparing for 1z0-051 and review the market while your're doing that. You can do that without a massive time and cost commitment, and it probably wont be wasted long term.

Typically a employer wont take too high a value on a certification where you can't demonstrate commerical work experience in that area, especially if there is a big jobseeker pool.
  • 2. Re: Reg Oracle Certification
    972943 Newbie
    Thanks for your reply...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points