This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2012 11:51 AM by Shivananda Rao RSS

Move RMAN Backup To Server

895327 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I took a backup from our production database server using RMAN:
RMAN> backup full as compressed backupset database plus archivelog delete input;
Now I would like to take this backup to a server that already is running the same version software (11.2.0.3) but I have never done this before and have some questions...

Based on my RMAN command above, I would need to move the backup file, control file, & re-do logs over to my backup server, right? Do I just need those three pieces or would I require more / less?

If the backup server database running the same Oracle database version already contains schema data, will the import of the backup files remove pre-existing data inside the database and just mirror the server to the backup taken or would it be the backup being imported in addition with keeping the pre-existing data preserved?
  • 1. Re: Move RMAN Backup To Server
    mseberg Guru
    Hello;

Assuming you have this set :
    RMAN>CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
    You only need to move the backup files.

The restore you are speaking of is kind of an SCN Roll forward. Is that what you want to do or do you want to replace the whole database?

I have a similar example which may help :

http://www.visi.com/~mseberg/rman/restore_database_without_catalog.html

Best Regards

mseberg
  • 2. Re: Move RMAN Backup To Server
    Levi-Pereira Guru
    Consider as best practice always include current controlfile in your backup database:
    RMAN> backup full as compressed backupset database include current controlfile plus archivelog delete input; 
  • 3. Re: Move RMAN Backup To Server
    mseberg Guru
    Levi makes a great point. This is a very good habit and will probably save your bacon at some point.

I would do both :
    CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
    and
    RMAN> backup full as compressed backupset database include current controlfile plus archivelog delete input;
    h3. Thanks Levi!

Best Regards

mseberg
  • 4. Re: Move RMAN Backup To Server
    895327 Newbie
    Yes I have my production Oracle database server to auto backup the control file:
    RMAN> show all;     

using target database control file instead of recovery catalog
    RMAN configuration parameters for database with db_unique_name ORCL are:
    CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO REDUNDANCY 1; # default
    CONFIGURE BACKUP OPTIMIZATION OFF; # default
    CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO DISK; # default
    CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
    So basically I need to move then which files over to the new server. The new server has Oracle 11g R2 installed but I've installed the database software only. I did not run DBCA utility to create the backup systems 1st database / schema. My other question is with that being said, do I need to run DBCA if I'm going to restore this machine from a backup from my production server?
  • 5. Re: Move RMAN Backup To Server
    Shivananda Rao Guru
    Hello,

You do not have to run DBCA. You just need to restore the backup of the Production on to the new server.

Since you are on 11g, refer this http://shivanandarao.wordpress.com/2012/04/28/duplicating-database-without-connecting-to-target-database-or-catalog-database-in-oracle-11g/

Referring to the above link, you get in a new database on the new server with the desired name that you look out for.

You can also refer this http://shivanandarao.wordpress.com/2012/04/19/duplicating-primary-database-to-a-new-host-without-connecting-to-the-primary-database-in-oracle-10g11g/ but here, you need to set the DBID of the Production database, and once the restoration and recovery is done, you'll have to change the name of the database to the desired name using NID utility.
  • 6. Re: Move RMAN Backup To Server
    mseberg Guru
    No to DBCA.

Notice in the notes I provided the create directory for the database. That example allows you to "clone" without a catalog ( handy ) and should handle everything for you.

If there's any part of the example you don't understand go ahead and ask as it is all fresh in my head.

Best Regards

mseberg

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points