This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 19, 2012 12:47 PM by Michael Ferrante (Oracle) RSS

Oracle Forms 11.1.2.0 on Win 7 64-bit  JVM bits error

Mark Reichman Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Trying to install Oracle Forms 11.1.2.0 on Win 7 64-bit and keep getting INST-07407: Unable to detect machine platform or JVM Bits.

I read somewhere where having spaces in the JDK install path causes problems so I changed the path to c:\oracle\java instead of C:\Program Files\java\jdk1.6.0_24. I do have a 64-bit JDK installed. What else could be causing this error message? Opening an Oracle service request has been zero help - hoping for help here. I have set JAVA_HOME and added the java home to the end of PATH. I can start and stop the weblogic server at middleware home C:\Oracle\middleware_oraforms.

c:\Oracle\Java\bin>java -version
java version "1.6.0_24"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_24-b07)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 19.1-b02, mixed mode)

c:\Oracle\Java\bin>echo %JAVA_HOME%
C:\Oracle\java

c:\Oracle\Java\bin>echo %PATH%
C:\Oracle\Ora10\bin;C:\product\11.2.0\dbhome\bin;C:\Oracle\ORA11\11.2.0\bin;C:\P
rogram Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86_64;C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86;C:\
windows\system32;C:\windows;C:\windows\System32\Wbem;C:\windows\System32\Windows
PowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\
Program Files (x86)\WinMerge;C:\Program Files (x86)\Rational\common;C:\Program F
iles (x86)\Hummingbird\Connectivity\11.00\Accessories\;;C:\Program Files (x86)\R
ational\ClearCase\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn
\VSShell\Common7\IDE\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn
\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\M
icrosoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\;*C:\Oracle\java*

product.properties
DOCSWEBROOT=http\\://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E17904_01/web.1111
ProgramGroupName=BEA WebLogic Platform 10.3 (Integrated Build)
PLATFORMHOME=C:\\Oracle\\MIDDLE~1\\wlserver
WLS_INSTALL_DIR=C:\\Oracle\\MIDDLE~1\\wlserver
USER_INSTALL_DIR=C:\\Oracle\\MIDDLE~1\\wlserver
CONFIGWIZ_HOME=C:\\Oracle\\MIDDLE~1\\wlserver
BEAHOME=C:\\Oracle\\MIDDLE~1
MW_HOME=C:\\Oracle\\MIDDLE~1
WL_HOME=C:\\Oracle\\MIDDLE~1\\wlserver
  • 1. Re: Oracle Forms 11.1.2.0 on Win 7 64-bit  JVM bits error
    Michael Ferrante (Oracle) Guru Moderator
    First, there is no need to relocate the system jdk. Part of your problem is more likely the result of a known limitation which is caused by the System PATH and/or CLASSPATH containing special characters like the parenthesis in (x86). So, do the following:

Before you start, be sure that your machine has a static IP address. If it does not, you will need to install the Windows loopback adapter. Read the Installation Guide and System Requirements for more details.

1. Clean up from your failed installation attempts. Be sure to also remove the C:\bea folder assuming no other product is using WLS.

2. Uninstall the 64bit jdk then reinstall it where you prefer it. I would recommend its default location.

3. Open a Notepad session and leave it open as a holding place to paste the following information.

4. Open the System properties. Computer > right mouse click > Properties > Advanced System Properties > Environment Variables

5. Locate PATH in the system variables and cut all of the values to the clipboard and paste them in the Notepad session you just opened above. Save this information for later.

6. In the PATH value, set it to the following, be sure that the path to the jdk is correct for your installation:
    <blockquote>%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_37\bin</blockquote>
    7. You will need the "generic" WLS download if you plan to run 64bit. This will be a jar file rather than an exe. Assuming you are using WLS 10.3.6, open a DOS window and start the installer as follows:
    <blockquote>java -jar C:\PathToJar\wls1036_generic.jar</blockquote>
    After you have completed the WLS installation and the FMw installation and configuration, you can reset your PATH back to the way you desire.
  • 2. [SOLVED] Re: Oracle Forms 11.1.2.0 on Win 7 64-bit  JVM bits error
    Mark Reichman Newbie
    You are correct sir.. Worked great.. The service request folks are clueless about this issue. In fact, I will paste this answer into the service request. Thanks again..
  • 3. Re: [SOLVED] Re: Oracle Forms 11.1.2.0 on Win 7 64-bit  JVM bits error
    Mark Reichman Newbie
    I would just like to add that after I installed Forms and merged my original path with the new path I still had issues. When starting the weblogic server console I would get "/amd not expected at this time" inside the command window. Come to find out the issue was was occurring in the setDomainEnv.cmd file just before this "if" statement below. Even though the execution was not stepping inside the if statement, SERVER_NAME = AdminServer not WLS_REPORTS, the %PATH% line was causing the issue. Long story short, I took the merged path and changed everything that had spaces or parenthesis to the short version. In Windows you can open a command window and type "dir /X" to get the short version of directory. For instance I had this in my path "C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86_64 and changed it to c:\PROGRA~2\AMDAPP~1\bin\x86_64

if "%SERVER_NAME%"=="WLS_REPORTS" (
      set EXTRA_JAVA_PROPERTIES=-Xms256m -Xmx512m -XX:PermSize=256m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -Djava.ext.dirs=C:\Oracle\Middleware_oraforms\oraforms_home\jdk\jre\lib\ext -Doracle.security.jps.config=C:\Oracle\Middleware_oraforms\user_projects\domains\ClassicDomain\config\fmwconfig\jps-config.xml -Doracle.home=C:\Oracle\Middleware_oraforms\oraforms_home -Ddomain.home=C:\Oracle\Middleware_oraforms\user_projects\domains\ClassicDomain -Doracle.instance=C:\Oracle\Middleware_oraforms\oraforms %EXTRA_JAVA_PROPERTIES%
      set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=C:\Oracle\Middleware_oraforms\oraforms_home\lib;%LD_LIBRARY_PATH%
      set PATH=C:\Oracle\Middleware_oraforms\oraforms_home\bin;%PATH%
      set TNS_ADMIN=C:\Oracle\Middleware_oraforms\oraforms\config
    )
  • 4. Re: [SOLVED] Re: Oracle Forms 11.1.2.0 on Win 7 64-bit  JVM bits error
    Michael Ferrante (Oracle) Guru Moderator
    Thank you for the update.

The path issue was planned to be fixed in 11.1.2.1. I have not tested it yet, but I believe it did make it in the patch. The new patch is available on OTN and MOS. More details can be found in the Announement I posted on top of this forum (the Forms forum).

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points