This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Nov 8, 2012 4:48 AM by Philip Stoyanov RSS

Logical Model vs. Process Model

211605 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Some questions on SDDM 3.1.4 support for internal consistency of a design:

1. Can I have the same Information Store on more than one Data Flow Diagram (in the same design)? When I try this, either by creating a new one on the second DFD and trying to give it the same name, or by copying and pasting from the first DFD, the product renames my new Information Store by suffixing a "v1" string to the end of the existing name.

Ideally, the Information Store would not only have the same name on both diagrams, but would be recognized by SDDM as the same "thing," such that a change to the definition in one place would appear the next time it was viewed in the other place.

If this can be done, how?

2. Can I tell SDDM that an Information Store on a DFD and an Entity on an ERD represent the same concept, and should be linked internally? Ideally in that case, attributes of the Entity and data elements of the Information Store would be forced to be synchronized, or at least I could run a report telling me whether they were or not (based on name matching).

If this can be done, how?

TIA,

Mark

Edited by: Mark on Nov 7, 2012 11:50 AM
  • 1. Re: Logical Model vs. Process Model
    Philip Stoyanov Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    Hi Mark,
    1. Can I have the same Information Store on more than one Data Flow Diagram (in the same design)?
    yes, when you create store it appears also in global list "All information stores" - using drag&drop from there you can add it to each data flow diagram. And it'll be the same thing.
    2. Can I tell SDDM that an Information Store on a DFD and an Entity on an ERD represent the same concept, and should be linked internally? Ideally in that case, attributes of the Entity and data elements of the Information Store would be forced to be synchronized, or at least I >could run a report telling me whether they were or not (based on name matching).
    You cannot attach entity to information store saying they are the same concept. Moving of attributes (from logical model) between elements of DFD can be presented with information structures you can create (or use) on Flow - so you create Information structure in flow dialog and add attributes from logical model to it. And data store attributes (entities used) is the set of attributes in information structures of incoming and outgoing flows.

Philip

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points