This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2012 3:20 AM by Tim Vincent RSS

Should I upgrade my application to TimesTen 11?

972545 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Experts,

We are currently using Timesten 7.0 for one of our java application.

Are there any compelling reasons to upgrade our application from Timesten 7 to 11 ?
Is an upgrade really necessary ?

Also please let me know where can I find about "The features added in 11" and where can I find the
difference between TimesTen 7.0.5.0.0 and 11.2.2 ?

Thanks & Regards,
Rajesh
reachsiva1@gmail.com
  • 1. Re: Should I upgrade my application to TimesTen 11?
    Gennady Sigalaev Journeyer
    Hi Rajesh,
    Are there any compelling reasons to upgrade our application from Timesten 7 to 11 ? Is an upgrade really necessary ?
    It really depends. If your application works fine and you don't need a new functionality, you don't need the upgrade.
    BUT, as you know, Oracle charges additional fees for supporting the old software. It means that the support in this case will cost you more money (~ +10-20% I think).
    So, I would recommend you to migrate on new TimesTen version. In fact, the TimesTen migration is not so difficult as Oracle DB migration.
    Also please let me know where can I find about "The features added in 11" and where can I find the difference between TimesTen 7.0.5.0.0 and 11.2.2 ?
    There is only one source of truth - it's a documentation
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E13085_01/doc/timesten.1121/e13080/toc.htm - about 11.2.1
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E21901_01/doc/timesten.1122/e21630/toc.htm - about 11.2.2

Best regards,
    Gennady
  • 2. Re: Should I upgrade my application to TimesTen 11?
    972545 Newbie
    Thanks Gennady!

Is there any specific document that mentions about exact differences between Timesten 7.0.5 and 11.2.2
    so that we can see what new features are available ?

(like for example Timesten 7.0 does not have PL/SQL support, but 11.2.2 has)

Is there any such list of differences between these two version ?

Pl. Note: Our's is a core java application and we use only SQL queries.
    (Currently we don't use any SQL procedures/functions or triggers)

Thanks & Regards,
    Rajesh
  • 3. Re: Should I upgrade my application to TimesTen 11?
    Gennady Sigalaev Journeyer
    Hi Rajesh,
    Is there any specific document that mentions about exact differences between Timesten 7.0.5 and 11.2.2 so that we can see what new features are available ?
    (like for example Timesten 7.0 does not have PL/SQL support, but 11.2.2 has)
    Have you had a look on the links I provided to you? There are a title "Changes in this release", so you should go the the following order:
    7.0.5 -> 11.2.1.9
    11.2.1.9 -> 11.2.2.4

But the main features are the following:

7.0.5 -> 11.2.1.9 (PL/SQL, OCI, Pro*C, Cache Grid, bitmap indexes, Oracle Clusterware support and etc.),
    11.2.1.9 -> 11.2.2.4 (Columnar compression, advisers, sql query caching, and etc.)

PS. If I answered your questions, could you please specify my post as "Correct answer".

Best regards,
    Gennady
  • 4. Re: Should I upgrade my application to TimesTen 11?
    Tim Vincent Explorer
    The doc in this thread can also help:
    TimesTen Upgrade

"Migration Considerations For Upgrading To TimesTen 11.2.1.x Release"          [Document 1188165.1]

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points