This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 26, 2012 7:56 AM by user447797 RSS

password file in data guard envinormrnt

user447797 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi

Using oracle rdbms 11.2.0.2 on RHEL 5.6.

We have 4 node primary and 4 node physical standby databases. All of the nodes have password file in place and remote_login_passwordfile set to EXCLUSIVE. In all the password files sys password is the same. We have only one user sys entry in passwordfile, since no other users has sysdba privileges.

We could observe at the standby site that only node 1 is shipping redo logs. I viewed the alert logs of node2,3,4. It says :

Error 1017 received logging on to the standby
------------------------------------------------------------
Check that the primary and standby are using a password file
and remote_login_passwordfile is set to SHARED or EXCLUSIVE,
and that the SYS password is same in the password files.
returning error ORA-16191
------------------------------------------------------------

Do the password file should be same across all the nodes or just the sys password. What i did is copied password file from node 1 to all the nodes in standby.
  • 1. Re: password file in data guard envinormrnt
    mseberg Guru
    Hello;

The password file should be same across all the nodes.

Move and renamed as needed.

On a Standby system you need to cancel recovery and shutdown the database so it starts on the "new" password file.

ORA-16191

This error occurs because of the invalid user credentials while attempts to ship redo to standby database .

To solve this issue we have copy the primary password file to standby database and rename the password file. Once the password-file is copied and renamed on standby database then stop and restart the recovery to make password-file in use.

Additional information

Passwords and Data Guard

http://www.visi.com/~mseberg/oracle_11_dg_passwords.html

Another example
    Password on source is:
    /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0.2/orapwRECOVER2

SCP to remote host
    scp /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0.2/dbs/orapwRECOVER2 oracle@remote.host.com:/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0.2/dbs/

Then rename the file to :
    /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0.2/dbs/orapwRECLONE
    Best Regards

mseberg

Edited by: mseberg on Nov 8, 2012 10:03 AM
  • 2. Re: password file in data guard envinormrnt
    user447797 Newbie
    Yes i copied password file from primary to all nodes on standby.

At primary node 1 is shipping logs and is fine.

But coming to nodes 2,3,4 at primary, they are unable to ship logs although all the nodes at standby has password file. So for nodes 2,3,4 to ship logs i copied the same password file from node 1 primary to remaining nodes 2,3,4 of primary. It is working.

1)Now i am in doubt, whether what i did is correct or not? because replacing existing password files in primary nodes 2,,3,4 with node 1 password file.

2)why do i need to copy password files from node 1 in primary to node 2,3,4 in primary. Because i verified all the nodes in primary are using password file and with same sys password. What went wrong with nodes 2,3,4 of primary?
  • 3. Re: password file in data guard envinormrnt
    mseberg Guru
    Hello;
    why do i need to copy password files from node 1 in primary to node 2,3,4 in primary
    Sorry for the misunderstanding. You don't. Just for the Standby's

Additional information

http://prutser.wordpress.com/2011/06/13/password-file-maintenance-in-a-data-guard-environment/

Also search for password in this document

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/availability/maa-wp-10g-racprimarysingleinstance-131970.pdf

Best Regards

mseberg

Edited by: mseberg on Nov 8, 2012 11:19 AM
  • 4. Re: password file in data guard envinormrnt
    user447797 Newbie
    Hi

I am bit confused... In my case the password files are present in all the nodes of primary and standby. But only node 1 of primary is able to ship logs,where as node 2,3,4 cannot.
    So i replaced password files in node 2,3,4 with password file of node 1 at primary. It is working.
    Why nodes 2,3,4 were unable to ship logs,although all the nodes at primary have same sys password.
  • 5. Re: password file in data guard envinormrnt
    mseberg Guru
    OK

I'm not at the top of my Game today. For RAC

The Password file must be the same on all Instances.

Troubleshooting ORA-16191 and ORA-1017 in Data Guard Log Transport Services [ID 1368170.1]

Sorry Man

Best Regards

mseberg
  • 6. Re: password file in data guard envinormrnt
    Don Seiler Newbie
    One thing to note that in 11g, it is not enough to set the same password. You need to actually copy the password file itself to the standby machines. At least this was what I found in the last setup I did a few months ago. Very frustrating since in 10g I could just set the password without having to copy the file.
  • 7. Re: password file in data guard envinormrnt
    user447797 Newbie
    password file should be same across all the instances

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points