This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2012 11:01 AM by 973496 RSS

SQL Developer - Memory Usage

973496 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
We have SQL Developer installed on our Citrix farm and we are facing hard times right now. Unfortunately SQL Developer is consuming in some cases more than 650 MB/session. And since we have on each site more than 50 users in same time, server gets exceeded very fast. Currently server is running Windows 2003 R2 edition x86. We know that this is bad and we are planning on switching on Windows Server 2008 R2. And here comes my questions:

Will Windows Server 2008 R2 work more effectively with Java x64 and SQL Developer x64 and resolve our memory issues?

Thank you.
  • 1. Re: SQL Developer - Memory Usage
    Gary Graham Expert
    Hi,

I have no idea if Windows Server 2008 runs Java applications better than 2003 but, regardless of which you run, here are a couple of ideas that may be of help:

1. x32 Java/SQL Developer starts up with a smaller working set (246,000 KB) than x64 Java/SQL Developer (318,000 KB).
    2. Try tweaking the garbage collection algorithm, using Garbage-First:
    Re: Memory Leak or Bad Java Garbage Collector

I ran across this (old) comment from a blog on blogs.msdn.com:
    Even though Windows Server 2008 R2 is exclusively a 64-bit operating system, 32-bit applications are 
    supported by enabling the WoW64 optional feature. If this feature is not enabled and you try to run a 
    32-bit application, the application will fail to execute. The WoW64 execution layer is an optional component 
    that is installed by default on R2 releases after beta1. You can save resources by removing the feature if 
    you are not going to be running 32-bit applications on your Server Core install. 
    Regards,
    Gary
    SQL Developer Team
  • 2. Re: SQL Developer - Memory Usage
    973496 Newbie
    Gary,

Thank you for your input. I will have a look. In any case, I will leave the question open for a little bit more, should anyone have better suggestions.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points