9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2013 10:29 AM by VANJ RSS

Apex 4.2 - App name escaped

VANJ
      See http://screencast.com/t/bSnqmm0sKcbX on apex.oracle.com (4.2.0.00.27) Looks like the slash (/) in the application name is being escaped.
        • 1. Re: Apex 4.2 - App name escaped
          fac586
          VANJ wrote:
          See http://screencast.com/t/bSnqmm0sKcbX on apex.oracle.com (4.2.0.00.27) Looks like the slash (/) in the application name is being escaped.
          Hi Vikas

Check the Browser Security setting HTML Escaping Mode in the application Security Attributes. Try dropping from Extended to Basic.
          • 2. Re: Apex 4.2 - App name escaped
            VANJ
            Paul - Thanks but for the life of me I can't seem to locate that Browser Security setting! I went into Edit Application Properties, Security tab but just can't find the options mentioned in the docs. What am I missing? Thanks

[Besides, I would have thought that anything we do in the Builder applies to the run-time behaviour of applications we build, NOT how they look in the Builder itself]
            • 3. Re: Apex 4.2 - App name escaped
              fac586
              VANJ wrote:
              Paul - Thanks but for the life of me I can't seem to locate that Browser Security setting! I went into Edit Application Properties, Security tab but just can't find the options mentioned in the docs. What am I missing? Thanks
              Just looked at another application and discovered it wasn't there :D

Go to the Properties section in the Application Definition tab and set Compatibility Mode to *4.2*.

IMO this isn't right. If that setting can only be controlled in 4.2 mode applications, it should not be applied by default to pre-4.2 applications.
              • 4. Re: Apex 4.2 - App name escaped
                VANJ
                I agree. OK I changed the mode to 4.2 and that Browser Security section showed up but unfortunately, that doesn't solve my problem (ok nit really). Looks like the Builder application itself needs to use this Basic setting! I don't see any security issues with allowing a "/" in application names.
                • 5. Re: Apex 4.2 - App name escaped
                  TexasApexDeveloper
                  It also affects any hidden page items that you MIGHT use that MIGHT contain urls.. Found this out the hard way.. Converting apps to 4.2 caused these hidden items to escaped....

Thank you,

Tony Miller
                  Ruckersville, VA
                  • 6. Re: Apex 4.2 - App name escaped
                    VANJ
                    Sigh, good point. In that case, Paul is abolutely right re "If that setting can only be controlled in 4.2 mode applications, it should not be applied by default to pre-4.2 applications". The upgrade process should default to backward-compatible (i.e. no change) behaviour. That is typically the whole point of introducing these "compatibility mode" type of settings.

Thanks
                    • 7. Re: Apex 4.2 - App name escaped
                      fac586
                      VANJ wrote:
                      I agree. OK I changed the mode to 4.2 and that Browser Security section showed up but unfortunately, that doesn't solve my problem (ok nit really). Looks like the Builder application itself needs to use this Basic setting! I don't see any security issues with allowing a "/" in application names.
                      Vikas

For clarification, were you seeing the "/" escaped in the app at runtime, the Builder or both? I haven't experienced these problems myself, so I may have jumped the gun with my comment above. Have to confirm that the Extended HTML Escaping mode is applied by default to pre-4.2 apps...
                      • 8. Re: Apex 4.2 - App name escaped
                        VANJ
                        Paul - Sorry I thought my initial screenshot from the Builder page and subsequent comments clarified that the issue I am reporting pertains to the Builder itself. Not sure how the runtime behavior has changed for pre-4.2 apps either, just getting my hands on 4.2.
                        • 9. Re: Apex 4.2 - App name escaped
                          VANJ
                          This appears to have been fixed in the 4.2.1 patch, closing thread.