2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2012 9:40 AM by Cdelahun-Oracle RSS

Data getting inserted into parent table when trying to insert child table

Hi,
      I am facing a problem when I try to insert/update the child table. I have parent table with columns

PARENT Table:

PCOL1
      PCOL2
      PCOL3
      LAST_UPDATED_BY
      LAST_UPDATED_ON

CHILD Table:

CCOL1
      CCOL2
      CCOL3
      LAST_UPDATED_BY
      LAST_UPDATED_ON

Both the parent and Child table are having the fields LAST_UPDATED_BY and LAST_UPDATED_ON. From my application when I try to insert/update the LAST_UPDATED_BY and LAST_UPDATED_ON in child table through persist/merge methods. It inserts/update the parent table instead of child table
      <code>public class Child extends Parent</code>

Note:
      I cannot change the column name
        • 2. Re: Data getting inserted into parent table when trying to insert child table
          Cdelahun-Oracle
          Looks like my response didn't get through for some reason.

You didn't post the relevant JPA mapping and inheritance information, so I guess based on the table structure that you have a child entity with no mappings defined inheriting from a parent using a joined table inheritance. Joined table inheritance might be the wrong strategy to use, as each subclass requires a row in the parent table as well as the child table - a one to one relationship. Your child seems to be independent of the parent so you willl either need to use a table per class inheritance strategy and override the field names defined from the mappings on the parent entity ( see http://www.eclipse.org/eclipselink/api/2.0/javax/persistence/AttributeOverride.html )
          or it might be better to make the two classes completely independent and not have them associated through inheritance - the two classes might be better as seperate branches of the same tree instead of directly decending from one another. See http://wiki.eclipse.org/EclipseLink/UserGuide/JPA/Basic_JPA_Development/Entities/Inheritance#Avoiding_Inheritance

Best Regards,
          Chris