This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2012 5:07 AM by EdStevens RSS

Accessing Oracle Database from Windows into RHEL(Linux)

RaviR Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Experts,

We have a scenario where Oracle Database R1 is installed on Windows System and the Client is present on Linux. Both the system is on same network.

We can access Windows -2-Windows using TNS entry.

I am unable to connect to this scenario where Database is on Windows and Client is on Linux.

Please Help!

Regards,
Ravi R
  • 1. Re: Accessing Oracle Database from Windows into RHEL(Linux)
    Helios-GunesEROL Oracle ACE
    Hi;

Did you try to install client software into your linux?

Regard
    Helios
  • 2. Re: Accessing Oracle Database from Windows into RHEL(Linux)
    EdStevens Guru
    Ravi R wrote:
    Hi Experts,

We have a scenario where Oracle Database R1 is installed on Windows System and the Client is present on Linux. Both the system is on same network.

We can access Windows -2-Windows using TNS entry.

I am unable to connect to this scenario where Database is on Windows and Client is on Linux.

Please Help!

Regards,
    Ravi R
    I am unable to start my car. Please help.

In other words, you've given us nothing useful to work with. Not even an error code.

I'd suggest that you log on to your client linux machine, go to a shell prompt and attempt to connect with sqlplus. Then copy the entire session -- complete command and full response, and paste it into your next post back to here. Prefereably enclosed by the \
     tags                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
  • 3. Re: Accessing Oracle Database from Windows into RHEL(Linux)
    RaviR Newbie
    Thanks Helios for the response. I have installed on OWB Client on the Linux System. However database is on the Windows System. So issue connecting it.

Sorry Ed...for not describing my problem.

OK now the scenario is we have Oracle 11gR1 installed on Windows System and there is another system on which we have installed OWB Client its a Warehouse Builder tool. Lets take an example that i have Database installed on Windows and i have SQL Developer installed on Linux system. Since no Oracle database is installed on Linux i cannot do a shell prompt to connect to the sqlplus.

Ideally if i want to connect to the database i simply use my TNS entry details in my SQL-Developer. However, in my case the system is unable to identify the details such as hostname:port:service_name. Please suggest if there is any patches required just for the connection purpose from Linux to Windows.

Please help!!

regards,
    Ravi R
  • 4. Re: Accessing Oracle Database from Windows into RHEL(Linux)
    EdStevens Guru
    Ravi R wrote:
    Thanks Helios for the response. I have installed on OWB Client on the Linux System. However database is on the Windows System. So issue connecting it.

Sorry Ed...for not describing my problem.

OK now the scenario is we have Oracle 11gR1 installed on Windows System and there is another system on which we have installed OWB Client its a Warehouse Builder tool. Lets take an example that i have Database installed on Windows and i have SQL Developer installed on Linux system. Since no Oracle database is installed on Linux i cannot do a shell prompt to connect to the sqlplus.
    Patently false. Lack of a database on a system does NOT prevent you from using sqlplus. All you need is a standard oracle client installation. SQLPlus is a client program. It comes with the client software. It connects to any database, local OR REMOTE.
    >
    Ideally if i want to connect to the database i simply use my TNS entry details in my SQL-Developer. However, in my case the system is unable to identify the details such as hostname:port:service_name. Please suggest if there is any patches required just for the connection purpose from Linux to Windows.
    There is nothing special about connecting from linux to windows. No patches necessary. You just need to correctly configure your client.

Unfortunately, you still haven't given any actionable details. We still don't have any description of the error beyond "cannnot connect". Surely sqldeveloper is giving you some sort of diagnostic error message .....

I'm sorry, but due to a shift in the space-time continuum, all crystal balls are inoperative for the foreseeable future.

>
    Please help!!

regards,
    Ravi R
  • 5. Re: Accessing Oracle Database from Windows into RHEL(Linux)
    Mark Malakanov (user11181920) Expert
    Ideally if i want to connect to the database i simply use my TNS entry details in my SQL-Developer. However, in my case the system is unable to identify the details such as hostname:port:service_name.
    what is error message?

If you use thin driver with URL hostname:port:service_name you do not need any TNS name. Thin driver does not use TNS.

To answer your question we need exactly the error message.
  • 6. Re: Accessing Oracle Database from Windows into RHEL(Linux)
    RaviR Newbie
    Hi,

I have installed the client on Linux i.e my remote system. I try to access sql plus from the bin folder it does not responds. A lot of article says that the path should be set, however in my case the sqlplus prompt does not appear in the terminal box. Please help!!

regards,
    Ravi R
  • 7. Re: Accessing Oracle Database from Windows into RHEL(Linux)
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    Ravi R wrote:
    Hi,

I have installed the client on Linux i.e my remote system. I try to access sql plus from the bin folder it does not responds. A lot of article says that the path should be set, however in my case the sqlplus prompt does not appear in the terminal box. Please help!!

Tell us something more than "prompt doesn't appear" . It won't as it's not Windows where the path is updated automatically. Do you have the binary of the sqlplus under the bin folder where the client is installed? What happens when you issue which sqlplus ?

Aman....
  • 8. Re: Accessing Oracle Database from Windows into RHEL(Linux)
    EdStevens Guru
    Ravi R wrote:
    Hi,

regards,
    Ravi R
    "Please help!!"

Oh my.

Please help us help you. You've already been told that you need to present actionable error messages. Preferably by using copy and past from a terminal session, showing us the full and exact command you issued, and the full and exact response and error message you received.

Unfortunately you continue to ignore this and give us worthless descriptions of your interpretation of what you did and got.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points