3 Replies Latest reply: May 28, 2013 5:53 PM by 1011481 RSS

Adoption of Java Card 3 Connected Edition?

fgrieu
      Hello,

I'm wondering if Java Card 3 Connected Edition has been widely adopted, and by what kind of products it is actually used. Any pointer to items on sales using it?

There's been no change in spec for over 4 years (or in the devkit for almost 4 years), and that's not typical for a widely adopted IT technology.

Edited by: fgrieu on Nov 12, 2012 12:44 PM
        • 1. Re: Adoption of Java Card 3 Connected Edition?
          safarmer
          I have only just started seeing smart cards with JC 3 classic edition. I have not heard of any JC3 connected edition cards, but I have not been looking either. JC implementations generally lag well behind the specs. I was surprised to see JC3 cards coming out relatively soon after being able to easily get JC2.2.2 cards.

Given the availability of NFC enabled smart phones, this may make JC 3 connected less compelling.

- Shane
          • 2. Re: Adoption of Java Card 3 Connected Edition?
            Hey,

I have searched the internet for prodcuts quite thoroughly and I have not seen any actual items, which support JC 3.0 connected. I have also written to many manufacturers and so far always got either no answer or they said, that they dont plan to release a product, which supports this standard any time soon. I know for a fact, that at least one company has sucessfully tested a prototype, which supports it, so it does not seem to be an issue of it being not possible, but of lacking interest in it. Apparently there are simply no or not enough customers, which are interested in this kind of technology, so noone makes the effort of creating and releasing a product. At least that is my estimate. I have some prototype card lying around here, which I got from the company, which tested this once, but they seem to require a special reader, which allows you to treat the card as usb-device and talk to it over eem("CBC-EEM" if you have to google). If that would work, they would look like regular network devices to you. My prototype would also support T=0, but the card manager is only accessible over HTTP and thus I would need the view on the card as a network device to load some applet onto it, which should work directly via netbeans according to the company I got this card from. I dont have any support for fixing this or finding a suitable reader, so I dont think, that I can put the card to work any time soon, and I willl have to give them back to my univesity. But at least you can guess, what a prodcut may look like, if it ever gets released. Hope I could help you.

Bottom line: JC 3.0 connected does not seem to be widely adopted; it rather seems like it is not even deployed at all. The 3.0 classic Version is used by Giesecke & Devrient. Most cards however still use 2.2.2 or older.

Edited by: 956788 on 11.12.2012 07:02
            • 3. Re: Adoption of Java Card 3 Connected Edition?
              Great Post!!

Edited by: 1008478 on May 28, 2013 3:53 PM