This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2012 11:42 PM by Avi Miller RSS

syslog-ng vs rsyslog OL5.8

tbrinkmann Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
two questions.

First does anyone know a reason why I have to use rsyslog instead of sylog-ng on Oracle Linux 5.8.
I mean on the OL5 repos there will be only rsyslog provided.

Second is there any Oracle Linux repo provides syslog-ng packages and dependencies ?

Thanks *T                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
  • 1. Re: syslog-ng vs rsyslog OL5.8
    Dude! Guru
    You'll probaly have to ask Red Hat. There are a number of blogs and sites discussing the difference and reasoning between the two. You can find it googling for "rsyslog vs syslog-ng".

If you rather use syslog-ng, you can install it from the EPEL repository. The EPEL project (Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux) provides Red Hat Enterprise Linux and derivatives with additional common software. For more info: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

For instance:

<pre>
    wget http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/5/i386/epel-release-5-4.noarch.rpm
    rpm -Uvh epel-release-5-4.noarch.rpm
    yum -y install syslog-ng
    Resolving Dependencies
    Transaction Summary
    (1/2): libnet-1.1.5-1.el5.x86_64.rpm | 58 kB 00:00
    (2/2): syslog-ng-2.1.4-9.el5.x86_64.rpm | 253 kB 00:00
    Importing GPG key 0x217521F6 "Fedora EPEL <epel@fedoraproject.org>" from /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-EPEL
    Installed:
    syslog-ng.x86_64 0:2.1.4-9.el5

</pre>
  • 2. Re: syslog-ng vs rsyslog OL5.8
    tbrinkmann Explorer
    Re,
    ok it looks like you anther that question. It dosen´t matter I read some blogs regarding to that topic but I
    hoped to get some extra experience from someone that face that question in the past.

Does I can install any fedora / redhat packages into my oracle linux without having trouble with oracle support team ?

*T                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
  • 3. Re: syslog-ng vs rsyslog OL5.8
    tbrinkmann Explorer
  • 4. Re: syslog-ng vs rsyslog OL5.8
    Avi Miller Guru
    tbrinkmann wrote:
    Does I can install any fedora / redhat packages into my oracle linux without having trouble with oracle support team ?
    No, it does not -- any package installed that doesn't come from the Oracle repositories is unsupported. Which means the support team may ask you to remove/replace them in cases where it's unclear as to whether the 3rd-party package is causing the problem.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points