4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2012 2:37 AM by 666922 RSS

Saving MOS Doc Ids for future use/reference

Hello experts,
      i've been using firefox bookmarks to save my favorite notes on MOS.. if you count it'll be above 720 of them..
      the reason for this is, firefox allows it to be opened as projects in one click.. also it automatically backups up to a server using add-ons.. allows remote download of my bookmarks

but with the kind of (mis)adventures oracle has been doing by going from html to flash and back to html, now this doesnt work well..
      wether or not i'm logged on, it shame lessly gives you an error saying the website understood the request but will not process it.. then i'm supposed to find the doc id from the url and then search from the search window.. and this happens only with the bookmarks i made after the NEW html based MOS, old onese work fine..

i had raised an SR, they suggested me to use MOS favorites, i gave them 6-8 reasons for not using them, so they created this bug for me-
      Bug 14636448 : ALLOW CUSTOMER TO SAVE BOOKMARKS INSTEAD OF FAVORITES

NOW, my question would be:

How do you save and manage your favourites??

Are they on local disks?
      Are they as convinient and as available as what i used to have with seperate folders for each project, which can be opened in a click and are automatically backed up to a server?
      Is there a different way? Even if on MOS.

Regards,
      WHO
        • 1. Re: Saving MOS Doc Ids for future use/reference
          Helios-GunesEROL
          Hi;

While I started to make post here, I was saving related documents as you do. But After I face similar issue like yours I started to keep documentation ID as txt. I collect documentation ID togeter which are related such as cm,rac,rman etc..

You may also follow this way.

Regard
          Helios
          • 2. Re: Saving MOS Doc Ids for future use/reference
            Helios- Gunes EROL wrote:
            But After I face similar issue like yours I started to keep documentation ID as txt.
            yes, however there we're using local disks susceptible to failure.. while on bookmarks they're sync'd with the server
            also the availability on other pcs because of this sync..

for instance, once my laptop completely crashed and would not even boot.. i had over 40 tabs open in 5 different firefox windows.. they gave me a new laptop and i just downloaded my plugins and yanked all these open tabs, synchronized over 700 bookmarks.. and i continued to work on the same projects i was on..
            so if a solution for using firefox bookmarks on new MOS comes up, then i will share more reasons.. and you will love it.

its also very convinient to be on the browser and choose a url from the browser instead of hunting for the right folder and the right notepad and the right note id.. then taking it to the browser.. i'm sure you agree with me how its annoying to work like this these days..

so my intention of starting this thread is-
            1. if there comes up a workaround for firefox bookmarks working on the new MOS, then i'll share more about how i organize, use, sync and restore my bookmarks
            2. else there may be other ways that many smart people out there might be using.. they can share their own ways.. and we all can learn..

i'm sure there are people in this forum itself, Hussein Sawwan for example always has notes handy for any issue at hand.. i'm sure he uses his own ways..
            • 3. Re: Saving MOS Doc Ids for future use/reference
              Nayas
              I also have a .docx with all notes i come across.
              I simply rsync that document to my dropbox storage / gmail storage.
              • 4. Re: Saving MOS Doc Ids for future use/reference
                Nayas wrote:
                I also have a .docx with all notes i come across.
                I simply rsync that document to my dropbox storage / gmail storage.
                yes, thats a smart way to sync.. or rather rsync :) i suppose you're using fedora or a flavour of linux.. instead of rsync, you can also do a dropbox start -i

but lets try to come up with ideas for manageability, accessibility and scalability of bookmarks..
                as we all know how we're reliant on these doc ids which are constantly updated by MOS..