This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2012 1:53 AM by BillyVerreynne RSS

probléme with the DISPLAY parameter

973853 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
when i try to tape a command ./runInstaller , i a have as output the message :
>>> Impossible d'exécuter la vérification automatique des couleurs d'affichage à l'aide de la commande /usr/bin/xdpyinfo. Vérifiez que la variable DISPLAY est définie. Echec <<<<

and then the installation interrupted .

if anyone could help me pleaz ,it's urgent
  • 1. Re: probléme with the DISPLAY parameter
    tbrinkmann Explorer
    Re,
    could you please specify your request ?.

What are you trying to do ? Install an oracle client or database ?
    Are you connected via ssh to that host ?
    Do you running an X Server or not ?
    What distribution you are running ?

Greetings *T                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
  • 2. Re: probléme with the DISPLAY parameter
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    If a problem is urgent, then get paid support. This is a forum of volunteers that provide their expertise and time for free - you have no right insisting that volunteers urgently answer and resolve your problem.

As for the problem: X-Windows works kind of the reverse way ito client-server.

The X-client is a server program on the server. E.g. the Java installer of Oracle.

The X-server runs the display for that program, on the client platform. This X-server creates the display device for that program, reads user input (keyboard and mouse), and passes user input to the program.

Thus: server runs X-client. client runs X-server.

Client-server is a software architecture. So you can run both X-client and X-server on the same hardware platform. E.g. server boots into initialisation level 5 (multi-user GUI) and display a X-Windows logon on the console. You logon as oracle on the console and run the installer.

You cannot however logon as root and run the installer as Oracle. Reason: the X-server belongs to root and it will by default refuse to accept connections from a program running as oracle.

You also can run X-server on a different platform. E.g. using andLinux on WinXP that creates a X-server for you - and then run, on the server, the Oracle Installer and instruct it to use your WinXP client as the X-server display.

How does the X-client know where the X-server reside? The DISPLAY environment variable tells the X-client two pieces of data:
    a) the IP address of the X-server (if it runs on another platform)
    b) the number of X-server display to connect to

So if you for example have a X-server display 1 running on your WinXP client, you will set the DISPLAY variable as follows on the X-client side:
    export DISPLAY=my-windows-pc.domain.com:1 (IP address can also be used instead of hostname)

Obviously, firewalls need to allow TCP communication between client and server.

If you do not have a X-server to use then you can do the following using VNC:
    1) install a basic X-server on your server (e.g. yum install twm)
    2) install VNC server on your server (e.g. yum install vnc-server)
    3) logon as oracle and run vncserver to create a virtual X-server display
    4) install VNC client (e.g. VNC thin client) on your Windows client
    5) connect from your Windows client to the virtual X-server display on the server
    6) execute X-client processes inside that display
  • 3. Re: probléme with the DISPLAY parameter
    Dude! Guru
    Perhaps worth adding that it is generally possible to use ssh -X oracle@tcpip from a remote computer, as well as the server console, to setup and address X11 security and necessary DISPLAY variable.
  • 4. Re: probléme with the DISPLAY parameter
    It was so much easier with X-terminals.. I still have one on the floor next to the bookcase in my office that IT Support never reclaimed. :-)
  • 5. Re: probléme with the DISPLAY parameter
    Dude! Guru
    It was probably very expensive. Do you have books too? ;-) If one thinks about how much resources people and businesses have invested in IT over the last 20 years, and continue to invest, and how little it is worth or useful after just a few years... it's insane. Computers systems that cost several hundreds of thousand dollars have simply been trashed, because there is absolutely no more use to it.

Well, at least Oracle Linux is free. It does require some skill sets, but investing into people is a lot more useful and resourceful than investing into computer systems. I think that is something a lot of managers in IT have forgotten.
  • 6. Re: probléme with the DISPLAY parameter
    973853 Newbie
    thanks for your answer ,
    i could explain moe about my probleme
    the Oracle database run on the Systeme Ubuntu version 10.10 .i have create a user with the limted rights and have controle juste to database.
    so when i log in and try to execute the installer i have this probeme :

Démarrage d'Oracle Universal Installer...

Vérification de l'espace temporaire : doit être supérieur à 80 Mo. Réel 16259 Mo Succès
    Vérification de l'espace de swap : il doit être supérieur à 150 Mo. Réel 7062 Mo Succès
    Vérification de l'écran : doit être configuré pour afficher au moins 256 couleurs
    >>> Impossible d'exécuter la vérification automatique des couleurs d'affichage à l'aide de la commande /usr/bin/xdpyinfo. Vérifiez que la variable DISPLAY est définie. Echec <<<<

Echec de la vérification de certaines exigences. Vous devez répondre à ces exigences pour

pouvoir poursuivre l'installation,
    // end

i have tried to intall it via a remote machine(windows) and set DISPLAY="addresse of windows machine ":0.0 and he give the same message above.
  • 7. Re: probléme with the DISPLAY parameter
    Dude! Guru
    You may not know it, but there are several complete different ways and options how to display an X11 application. Setting the DISPLAY variable to your Windows computer is not always correct. You will need to provide more details and explain exactly what software is involved and what steps you perform. There is simply not enough information in your post to help you troubleshoot your current issue. And btw, Ubuntu is not Oracle Linux.
  • 8. Re: probléme with the DISPLAY parameter
    973853 Newbie
    i think that the last version of ubunu dont work well with the database Oracle 11g . so i wil install it to other System to check if ubunutu is involved in this probleme
  • 9. Re: probléme with the DISPLAY parameter
    Dude! Guru
    The Oracle Universal Installer is a Java application that requires X11 support. I'm afraid the version of Oracle won't make any difference to the X11 windowing requirement or your available options support X Windowing. Of course, no Oracle Enterprise Edition is actually supported under Ubuntu
  • 10. Re: probléme with the DISPLAY parameter
    970850 wrote:

the Oracle database run on the Systeme Ubuntu version 10.10 .i have create a user with the limted rights and have controle juste to database.
    The only Oracle version that runs, out-of-the-box, on Ubuntu, is Oracle XE. This comes with a Debian package and is automatically installed (no GUI) by the Debian APT manager.

Other Oracle versions, are certified for specific operating systems. Ubuntu is not included in this list of certified Linux distributions.
    so when i log in and try to execute the installer i have this probeme :
    Vérification de l'écran : doit être configuré pour afficher au moins 256 couleurs
    Impossible d'exécuter la vérification automatique des couleurs d'affichage à l'aide de la commande /usr/bin/xdpyinfo. Vérifiez que la variable DISPLAY est définie. Echec
    Weird error.

Confirm that you have Gnome Dekstop installed on this Ubuntu server, and that you have logged on as the oracle o/s user.

No need to manually set the DISPLAY variable.

If so, then launch a terminal session in the Gnome Desktop and enter the command +/usr/bin/xdpyinfo+ - what happens? Does it work? What does it output?

Next, test a basic X-client program by entering the command xeyes in the terminal session window - press Ctrl-C to terminate testing.

If this worked, go to the Oracle installation directory and run +./runInstaller.sh+.

I expect the installer to fail though, when detecting that a non-certified Linux distribution is used. Also keep in mind that there are several dependencies for running Oracle. Such as the kernel async-io driver and so on. These are usually not default when the o/s is installed and will be missing.

Why exactly do you want to use Ubuntu to run a non XE database version of Oracle?
  • 11. Re: probléme with the DISPLAY parameter
    Dude wrote:
    It was probably very expensive. Do you have books too? ;-)
    The old X-terminals was pricier than the most modern PC (80386/80486) at the time. And needed an additional 4MB of (expensive) RAM too. And yes, I did have IBM's CUA (Common User Access) specification manual. :-)
    If one thinks about how much resources people and businesses have invested in IT over the last 20 years, and continue to invest, and how little it is worth or useful after just a few years... it's insane. Computers systems that cost several hundreds of thousand dollars have simply been trashed, because there is absolutely no more use to it.
    So true.
    Well, at least Oracle Linux is free. It does require some skill sets, but investing into people is a lot more useful and resourceful than investing into computer systems. I think that is something a lot of managers in IT have forgotten.
    Yes, unfortunately...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points