This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2012 7:56 AM by sabdelhalim RSS

Empty Reports

KMDev Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I find myself stuck once again and throwing myself on the mercy of the forum!

My basic issue is that the reporting in workbench has not worked since we upgraded versions from MDex 6.1.3 to 6.2.1 I've determined that my logging server is running and collecting data as it should. When the daily report generator runs it collects the log files from "./logs/logserver_output/LogServer<<date>>" and moves them into the "./reports/input" directory.

The DailyReportGenerator uses this for an input directory according to workbench. When I run the generator a file is created in "./reports/daily/<<date>>.xml but all values are empty. I can see in the past a subfolder was created to hold images (for charts), that is no longer happening.

I checked out the DailyReportGenerator.log and it repeatedly tells me there was no data values:
1 Nov 9, 2012 10:17:12 AM com.endeca.rg.ReportGenerator main
2 INFO: Report Generator 6.1.1.585993
3 Nov 9, 2012 10:17:12 AM com.endeca.rg.ReportGenerator main
4 INFO: Copyright (C) 2005 Endeca Technologies Inc.
5 Nov 9, 2012 10:17:13 AM com.endeca.rg.components.input.FileSystemMultiInput$Engine$Statistics log
6 INFO: LogFileInput/FileSystemInput/com.endeca.rg.components.input.FileSystemMultiInput: Progress: 2/2 (100%), 0:00:00 remaining
7 Nov 9, 2012 10:17:13 AM com.endeca.rg.components.reports.PopularRecordSummary$Engine getReport
8 INFO: PopularRecordSummary: Generating report
9 Nov 9, 2012 10:17:13 AM com.endeca.rg.components.reports.DimensionSearchSummary$Engine getReport
10 INFO: DimensionSearchSummary: Generating report
11 Nov 9, 2012 10:17:13 AM com.endeca.rg.components.reports.SpellCorrectAltSuggestSummary$Engine getReport
12 INFO: SpellCorrectAltSuggestSummary: Generating report
13 Nov 9, 2012 10:17:13 AM com.endeca.rg.components.input.LogMultiFileInput$Engine$Statistics log
14 INFO: LogFileInput/LogFileInput: Processing file 1/1: Progress: 100%
15 Nov 9, 2012 10:17:13 AM com.endeca.rg.components.reports.PopularRecordSummary$Engine getReport
16 INFO: PopularRecordSummary: Finished
17 Nov 9, 2012 10:17:13 AM com.endeca.rg.components.reports.SpellCorrectAltSuggestSummary$Engine getReport
18 INFO: SpellCorrectAltSuggestSummary: Finished
19 Nov 9, 2012 10:17:13 AM com.endeca.rg.components.reports.DimensionSearchSummary$Engine getReport
20 INFO: DimensionSearchSummary: Finished
21 Nov 9, 2012 10:17:13 AM com.endeca.rg.components.reports.SortingSummary$Engine getReport
22 INFO: SortingSummary: Generating report
23 Nov 9, 2012 10:17:13 AM com.endeca.rg.components.reports.SortingSummary$Engine getReport
24 INFO: SortingSummary: Finished
25 Nov 9, 2012 10:17:13 AM com.endeca.rg.components.charting.Charting$Engine$1 process
26 INFO: Chart was not generated for report 'top_sort_keys' because there are no data values
27 Nov 9, 2012 10:17:13 AM com.endeca.rg.components.charting.Charting$Engine$1 process
28 INFO: Chart was not generated for report 'top_dimension_search_results_selected' because there are no data values
29 Nov 9, 2012 10:17:13 AM com.endeca.rg.components.charting.Charting$Engine$1 process
30 INFO: Chart was not generated for report 'top_dimension_search_results_selected' because there are no data values
31 Nov 9, 2012 10:17:13 AM com.endeca.rg.components.charting.Charting$Engine$1 process
32 INFO: Chart was not generated for report 'top_records' because there are no data values
....(goes on like this for a looooong time then)
INFO: Report completed: /opt/app/developers/nmklm23/app/WN/DEV/INSTANCE/reports/daily/2012_11_08.xml

There are no errors reporting during generation. As far as I can tell report generator is looking in the right input file....can anyone help clue me into what I'm missing? Why does the report generator not fine the LogServer data?
  • 1. Re: Empty Reports
    sabdelhalim Newbie
    Hi,
    did you take a look a the report generator script in your Appconfig.xml,
    we had similar issues and found out that the report gen starts by recycling logs (thus running on empty folder and including no data)
    check how the cycle log folders-copying logs in input folder-runnin report gen is configured
    hope that helps
    regards
    Saleh
  • 2. Re: Empty Reports
    KMDev Newbie
    Freakin genius!

I took a look at the script as you suggested and found that the we were cleaning the directory, copying the logserver file, archiving it, then running the generator. Apparently this worked in the past but after the upgrade the archive now removes the input (speculation).

I moved the archive function to after the generator ran and full reports with data and charts appeared. Thanks so much for your help!
  • 3. Re: Empty Reports
    sabdelhalim Newbie
    glad that helped ;0)
    we looked a moment to figure this out ....
    regards
    Saleh

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points