6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2012 9:48 PM by Srinath Menon-Oracle RSS

meta data field not indexed fully

sawczuk
      We are using UCM 11g I have modified one of our custom metadata fields to be 4000 characters on the database by modifying the docmeta table.
      I have also added the following entry to the config to reflect the change xVaultFolder:maxLength=4000
      I have restarted UCM and done a full index rebuild but if we populate the metadata field with 4000 characters it will only search the first 2000 which was the original length of the field.
      What else do I need to change?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: meta data field not indexed fully
          Jiri.Machotka-Oracle
          I'm afraid you are struggling with a database issue. Even though 4000 characters is the maximum possible length, due to Unicode strings (where 1 char needs 2 bytes), the effective maximum is actually just 2000 chars. Ask first DB gurus what issues/resolutions are known, or just re-implement your requirement so that it respects the 2000 maximum.
          • 2. Re: meta data field not indexed fully
            sawczuk
            Thanks for replying but I dont understand your response.
            4000 characters are being stored in the database in the docmeta table.
            I can see the 4000 characters in the UCM search screen.
            My only issue is I cant search the last 2000 characters.
            • 3. Re: meta data field not indexed fully
              Jiri.Machotka-Oracle
              OK. I will try to guess the reason:

4000 characters in plain ASCII (like a text in English) can really be stored in a database VARCHAR2 field
              The problem occurs if an international character appears - this is either converted to ASCII, replaced by a ?, or you can define encoding of the database to Unicode which uses 2 bytes per character - therefore a VARCHAR2 can have maximum 2000 (Unicode) chars

Now, even if you store plain English chars in a 4000-char VARCHAR2, something on the way might expect Unicodes - therefore, the ending 2000 chars are most likely thrown away.

You might try to find the way how to suppress "something on the way" - this might require contacting the development, unless someone knows about a parameter that might configure that (I don't).

I'd recommend a different approach - why on Earth do you need a (searchable!) metadata field longer than 2000 characters? Isn't there another way of doing it? Would you mind sharing your use case? Maybe someone will know...
              • 4. Re: meta data field not indexed fully
                William Phelps
                Try setting "MemoFieldSize=4000" in config.cfg and restarting the Content Server. You may want to rebuild the search index.

Then, as a test, create a totally new memo field and see if 4000 characters can be returned in the new field. You may end up having to drop the old field and recreating it if the new field works, but the old one doesn't.
                • 5. Re: meta data field not indexed fully
                  Jiri.Machotka-Oracle
                  William,

thanks for sharing your never ending knowledge.

Anyway, I'm still curious what could be the scenario. I thought of the following:
                  - no user will want to type 2000+ characters to search for anything. Therefore, the field might be auto-read (like from a 2D barcode), or more likely contains a cumulative info (like comma- or space-separated strings).
                  - alternatively, the field might contain a text that could be fulltext-searched (like an annotation)

For the cumulative scenario I immediately think of tagging or keywords, and there are OOTB means how to tackle these.
                  For the fulltext or barcode scenarios I wonder why 2000 is not enough and 4000 is. Either way, for these I believe rather than a metadata field, it should be stored in a separate content item (CLOB in the database, not VARCHAR2), that is linked to the root.
                  • 6. Re: meta data field not indexed fully
                    Srinath Menon-Oracle
                    Hi ,

This is a bug with Oracle UCM and a bug has been raised with Development team to resolve it . Bug : 14825962 is the one pertaining to this .

Thanks
                    Srinath