2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2012 10:19 PM by zycoz100 RSS

apex 4.2  passing value from one item to other page

zycoz100
      I have a page where i accept a starting date and ending date as a parameter
      its source i set it as preference or application item

Now in the other page I calls a jasper report..
      so it refers the first page.. I am not able to access the start_date which is in other page
      start_date and end_date

Start_date shows as null
      Am confused over what is preference and application item
      Where will we use preference as a source type.

Again example
      page 103
      p103_start_issue - preferenec
      p103_end_issue -- preference
      A buttons calls other page
      The other page
      when i call jasper report I Pass the parameter value as :p103_start_issue and :p103_end_issue
      But the actual value is null for those fields..
      How can i acess the actual value..
      Do i need to use application item. ? I tried application item as source type but still the same issue.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: apex 4.2  passing value from one item to other page
          Matthew Morris
          Am confused over what is preference and application item
          Where will we use preference as a source type.
          A Page item is the most short-lived way to store variables in session state. Page items are routinely (although not always) cleared when entering or leaving a page. They are generally used to store a value that changes most times that you enter a page. Page items are also generally intended for use primarily by code on that page. This is not to say that other pages can not or will not use them, but access from other pages has to be controlled so that they are not trying to reference a page item from a different pages after the cache for that page has been cleared.

Application items are for data that is longer-lived and/or is intended to be accessed by multiple pages. Application Items are not cleared unless a session end or a specific call to clear them is made.

Preferences are for data that is intended to be stored and retrieved for specific users across multiple sessions. Log out of an app and back in and the data is still available.

That said, from your description of the problem, I would guess that the cache on page 103 was cleared and the page item values erased. I suspect that you should be using an application item from what you have posted.
          • 2. Re: apex 4.2  passing value from one item to other page
            zycoz100
            HI Mathew thanks,
            I have just set it to application item now i know the difference between preferences, ap item and page item
            Thanks
            again