This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2012 5:23 AM by EdStevens RSS

Database healthchecks and DBA horror stories

user599292 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
A few questions if I may:

1) I wondered if any of you could assist. I was looking for some sort of best practices Oracle DBA checklist around “maintenance tasks” and “monitoring tasks”, that a good DBA would do to keep there Oracle databases “healthy”. Microsoft have started putting together the reliability workbooks for some of their products which list recommended best practices when it comes to management (monitoring and maintenance) of their products:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee923724.aspx
I could do with something similar for Oracle databases. If such exists

2) Second part of my question is if you have ever experienced any significant issues to your Oracle databases from internal DBA’s/external DBA’s not doing these best practice maintenance/monitoring tasks. I.e. downtime, performance issues. Can you share any horror stories about lack of admin/management that had a knock on effect on the databases health, and any applications that rely on that database. The more horror stories the better if you don’t mind sharing. What didn’t they do what they should have done, and what impact did this have? What common things can DBA’s miss and what impact do they have?

3) And finally, if you were to review your outsourced Oracle DBA’s maintenance/monitoring independently, what kind of areas would you look to for assurance they are managing your Oracle databases well. Any particular markers? Do you see any common mistakes DBA's making in their management of their database estate?
  • 1. Re: Database healthchecks and DBA horror stories
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    user599292 wrote:

1) I wondered if any of you could assist. I was looking for some sort of best practices Oracle DBA checklist around “maintenance tasks” and “monitoring tasks”, that a good DBA would do to keep there Oracle databases “healthy”. Microsoft have started putting together the reliability workbooks for some of their products which list recommended best practices when it comes to management (monitoring and maintenance) of their products:
    How to Perform a Health Check on the Database [ID 122669.1]

2) Second part of my question is if you have ever experienced any significant issues to your Oracle databases from internal DBA’s/external DBA’s not doing these best practice maintenance/monitoring tasks. I.e. downtime, performance issues. Can you share any horror stories about lack of admin/management that had a knock on effect on the databases health, and any applications that rely on that database. The more horror stories the better if you don’t mind sharing. What didn’t they do what they should have done, and what impact did this have? What common things can DBA’s miss and what impact do they have?
    database corruption (No Backup) , Media management failure , Assign Task to wrong person .............
    3) And finally, if you were to review your outsourced Oracle DBA’s maintenance/monitoring independently, what kind of areas would you look to for assurance they are managing your Oracle databases well. Any particular markers? Do you see any common mistakes DBA's making in their management of their database estate?
    Depend on task
  • 2. Re: Database healthchecks and DBA horror stories
    EdStevens Guru
    user599292 wrote:

The questions themselves indicate a very interesting back story ....

Edited by: EdStevens on Nov 14, 2012 7:22 AM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points