This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2012 5:10 AM by mseberg RSS

Question on Manual switchover in RAC

Max Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Version : 11.2.0.3
Platform: Solaris 11 (x86-64 )

Our primary database is a 3-node RAC DB ----------------------------> SCAN name of Primary --> belktam1-scan.na.schmdcp.com
Yesterday we've configured a 3-node RAC physical standby for this. ---> SCAN name of Standby --> belktam2-scan.na.schmdcp.com

Now, we've asked the apps team to add the standby DB's SCAN name to their JDBC URL.

JDBC URL:
jdbc:oracle:thin:@ (DESCRIPTION_LIST=(LOAD_BALANCE=OFF)(FAILOVER=YES)(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=belktam1-scan.na.schmdcp.com)(PORT=3845)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVER=DEDICATED)(SERVICE_NAME=RDTB_PROD.na.schmdcp.com)))(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=belktam2-scan.na.schmdcp.com)(PORT=3845)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVER=DEDICATED)(SERVICE_NAME=RDTB_PROD.na.schmdcp.com))))
Since the JDBC URL is long , i am giving you the TNS entry equivalent for the above JDBC ur more readability.

TNS_EQUIVALENT =
(DESCRIPTION_LIST=
   (LOAD_BALANCE=OFF) (FAILOVER=YES)
   (DESCRIPTION=
     (ADDRESS_LIST=
       (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=belktam1-scan.na.schmdcp.com)(PORT=3845))
     )
     (CONNECT_DATA=
       (SERVER=DEDICATED)
       (SERVICE_NAME=RDTB_PROD.na.schmdcp.com)
     )
   )
   (DESCRIPTION=
     (ADDRESS_LIST=
       (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=belktam2-scan.na.schmdcp.com)(PORT=3845))
     )
     (CONNECT_DATA=
       (SERVER=DEDICATED)
       (SERVICE_NAME= RDTB_PROD.na.schmdcp.com)
     )
   )
)
Question1 .
Swithover will happen only through Manual intervention. After we do a switchover any new JDBC connection using the above URL will be connecting to the standby DB (whose role has switched to primary now) .Right ?

Question2.
After we do the switchover to standby, should the application be restarted. I know that SQL*Plus using the above tns entry will be connecting to the standby without any issues .

Question2.
Consider a scenario where no switchover is involved. During normal functioning of the Primary and Standby , due to a network issue
the SCAN name at primary standby becomes unavailable for few minutes. Will the client sessions using the above URL try to connect to the standby DB ?
  • 1. Re: Question on Manual switchover in RAC
    mseberg Guru
    Hello;
     Question1 .
    Swithover will happen only through Manual intervention. After we do a switchover any new JDBC connection using the above URL will be connecting to the standby DB (whose role has switched to primary now) .Right ?
    Correct.
    Question2.
    After we do the switchover to standby, should the application be restarted. I know that SQL*Plus using the above tns entry will be connecting to the standby without any issues .
    Only real way to know is to test.
    Consider a scenario where no switchover is involved. During normal functioning of the Primary and Standby , due to a network issue
    the SCAN name at primary standby becomes unavailable for few minutes. Will the client sessions using the above URL try to connect to the standby DB ?
    I'm thinking Yes. You can use DBMS_SERVICE.CREATE_SERVICE and a trigger to control this.

Best Regards

mseberg
  • 2. Re: Question on Manual switchover in RAC
    teits Pro
    >
    Question2.
    seems visible! to avoid this consider mseberg suggestion
    use a trigger for the control.

consider this posts...very good.
    http://uhesse.com/2009/08/19/connect-time-failover-transparent-application-failover-for-data-guard/

HTH
    Tobi

Edited by: teits on Nov 14, 2012 12:41 PM
  • 3. Re: Question on Manual switchover in RAC
    Max Newbie
    You can use DBMS_SERVICE.CREATE_SERVICE

Isn't that a bit old-fashioned ? I think everyone uses
    srvctl add service
    these days.

Although I worked with RAC for 3 years , I never used service. In my new shop , schema stacking is practised and the bright side is I got to work with RAC services feature.
  • 4. Re: Question on Manual switchover in RAC
    teits Pro
    Max wrote:
    You can use DBMS_SERVICE.CREATE_SERVICE

Isn't that a bit old-fashioned ? I think everyone uses
    srvctl add service
    these days.

Although I worked with RAC for 3 years , I never used service. In my new shop , schema stacking is practised and the bright side is I got to work with RAC services feature.
    Its is not old-fashioned. i would use DBMS_SERVICE.CREATE_SERVICE
    reason: with DBMS_SERVICE.CREATE_SERVICE the changes are replicated by redo on standby. but with srvctl add service what will happen to standby DB?
    ---edited
    srvctl add service is very good options.
    Please read: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E14072_01/server.112/e10702/sofo.htm#CHDBHJIB section:5.6.1.2 Database Service Configuration Requirements
    1. with srvctl you can configure a service to be active when in physical_standby role.
    2. you can configure the services to start after a role change.

Tobi

Edited by: teits on Nov 15, 2012 3:06 PM
  • 5. Re: Question on Manual switchover in RAC
    Max Newbie
    Ohhh... Just didn't think about it. Thanks Tobi.
  • 6. Re: Question on Manual switchover in RAC
    mseberg Guru
    Hello again;

Both of these are worth a look :

http://uhesse.com/2009/08/19/connect-time-failover-transparent-application-failover-for-data-guard/

Also interesting

Thread: How to rename the primary database instance after switchover

Re: How to rename the primary database instance after switchover

Best Regards

mseberg

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points