This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2012 6:38 AM by lakeuk RSS

Date format in Query Result Window

lakeuk Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
In recent versions on OSD (trying with V3.2.20.09 Build MAIN-09.87) I've been unable to change the date format for results shown in the query results window via the NLS settings in Preferences, it's the same for other users on v3 in my area. Can anyone advice on whether anything can be done to resolve this issue or is there a bug in recent additions of OSD

Frustrating having a result show as 01-DEC-12 and I don't know whether it's 01-DEC-2012 or our default date of 01-DEC-4712 without having to hard code a to_char in my sql which I don't want to be doing all the time to analyse my results

I have an old version 1.5.4 Build MAIN-5940 and changing the NLS settings in preferences refrects correctly in the query results window

Any advice appreciated, Thanks
  • 1. Re: Date format in Query Result Window
    Jim Smith Expert
    What are your NLS settings for Date Format and Timestamp format?

What are the database defaults?

Are you sure the column is a date and not a varchar2?

I think SQL Developer does an alter session with the date format. Do you have alter session privilege?

Ignore the last question, I've tested that and it makes no difference.

Edited by: Jim Smith on Nov 14, 2012 2:22 PM
  • 2. Re: Date format in Query Result Window
    lakeuk Newbie
    Thanks, looks like it's permission, tried on a different database supposed to be the same and it works when I update the preferences or run the alter session statement. Call to my admins to get on the case

Ta

for anyone else having simular issues, help are the statements I've tried to confirm it's permissions

alter session set NLS_DATE_FORMAT = 'DD-MON-RR HH24:MI:SS'; -- Original

alter session set NLS_DATE_FORMAT = 'DD-MON-RRRR HH24:MI:SS';

commit;

SELECT *
    FROM nls_session_parameters
    ;

Edited by: lakeuk on 14-Nov-2012 06:37

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points