13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2012 6:11 AM by PeakIndicators_Alastair RSS

ODI upgrade from 10g to 11g

I need to gather information on how to migrate the ODI from 10g (10.1.3.4.0) to the latest version 11g (11.1.1.6.0). I have several question on the upgrade process.

•     When upgrading the ODI 10g to 11g, does the ODI agents included on the update?

•     How long does it take to upgrade the ODI? Does it depend on the volume of the repositories? How many hours?

•     Does the ODI 10g supports Oracle Database 11g as its master and work repositories?

•     I need to update both oracle database 10g and ODI 10g to 11g version. And right now both master and work repositories is in one database machine which is in the oracle database 10g. What do you think you think I should do? Do I need to upgrade the database first? Or the ODI?

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: ODI upgrade from 10g to 11g
          JeromeFr
          Hi,

1. New agents will be created. In 11g, you can choose between a standalone agent (like the runtime agent in 10g) or a J2EE agent on a weblogic server. If you choose the second one, you can deploy webservices, use the ODI console (thin client for monitoring/executing), use the entreprise manager, ...

2. I think that the repositories upgrade itself will last less than one hour. But you have to do backup and such before.

3. Yes it does.

4. I would go for db first, test that everything is ok within ODI 10g, then upgrade to ODI 11g. But the opposite should work too.

Hope it helps,

JeromeFr
          • 2. Re: ODI upgrade from 10g to 11g
            Thanks a lot Jerome Fr! This is really helpful.

1. Got it!

2. Got it!

3. Got it! but do i need to add a jdbc driver for Oracle Database 11g to connect to it?

4. How do you migrate the master and work repository of ODI 10g to 11g? is it already included in the Update Assistant process?
            so for my case first i need to upgrade the database first and then import the master and work repository to the new version of database. After that, can i now run the update assistant?
            • 3. Re: ODI upgrade from 10g to 11g
              PeakIndicators_Alastair
              4) - Yes the Upgrade Assistant connects to the Master repos, identifies the Work repos that are connected to it (as per your Topology) and upgrades both.
              • 4. Re: ODI upgrade from 10g to 11g
                4. So after i run the Upgrade Assistant. Do i assume now that the version of my ODI is now 11g?
                • 5. Re: ODI upgrade from 10g to 11g
                  Bhabani Ranjan
                  Repository will be upgraded but not ODISTUDIO.
                  You have go for fresh installation of ODI 11.1.1.6. During the installation skip the repository configuration.

Thanks
                  • 6. Re: ODI upgrade from 10g to 11g
                    So the upgrade assistant is just for the repositories? am i right? if yes, what's the "Upgrade Middle tier instance" in the Update assistant?
                    • 7. Re: ODI upgrade from 10g to 11g
                      PeakIndicators_Alastair
                      Not just repos schemas, Your Middle Tier is your Agents. - See here :

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23943_01/upgrade.1111/e12642/tasklist.htm#CIHEDAGC
                      • 8. Re: ODI upgrade from 10g to 11g
                        I see. thanks! are there documents on best practices for upgrading the ODI?
                        • 9. Re: ODI upgrade from 10g to 11g
                          PeakIndicators_Alastair
                          Not seen many, if any write-ups, additional to the documentation (suggest you read it here : http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23943_01/upgrade.1111/e12642/prevusers.htm#BCFFJFDF)

What I have found:
                          Any customised Knowledge modules are not upgraded automatically, for example - we had a modified SQL Loader LKM - 11G changes the API method from odiRef.getTargetTable("FILE_SEP_ROW") to odiRef.getTargetTable("XFILE_SEP_ROW") - you have to do this yourself on your custom LKM -

The Source / Target datatype mapping across technologies has changed in a few cases - not sure if its because my client had changed 10G beforehand, but I had to remap some SQL Server datatypes to a different Oracle datatype to retain our ETL functionality.

You might have fun with variables (set and evaluate variable steps in scenarios), we have had to update snp_scen_step on a lot of scenarios because an 11G new column (var_long_value) did not get transfered from the 10G column (var_value)

Also check out ML ID 1409867.1 regards to having to change the format of date variables due to changes in the JDBC driver.

Double check your source / targets are covered in the Certification matrix - One of our sources is Oracle 9i and this isnt supported by 11G ODI - We had to move to DBLinks to get around this (Agent just woudnt connect and I couldnt get the older drivers working with it)

That just about covers my last upgrade :-)
                          • 10. Re: ODI upgrade from 10g to 11g
                            Thanks! i will read it.

Also, will there be a downtime if i upgraded the ODI agent 10 to 11g when running the Upgrade Assistant?
                            • 11. Re: ODI upgrade from 10g to 11g
                              PeakIndicators_Alastair
                              Not sure to be honest, we had to ensure continuity so have upgraded to another cluster for testing, will cut over to the new cluster (and back again) for production on a strict schedule.

I assume it can be done with no downtime, as the new agent has separate libraries - they can co-exist on the same box without a problem - you just have to stop the 10G jobs / schedules and activate the 11G jobs / schedules.
                              • 12. Re: ODI upgrade from 10g to 11g
                                Also,
                                1.) How do you upgrade ODI 10g Standalone Agent to 11g? what are the procedures?

2.) Does the ODI 10g Standalone Agent support Oracle Database as its master and work repository?
                                • 13. Re: ODI upgrade from 10g to 11g
                                  PeakIndicators_Alastair
                                  948135 wrote:
                                  Also,
                                  1.) How do you upgrade ODI 10g Standalone Agent to 11g? what are the procedures?
                                  Either use the Upgrade Assistant and choose 'Middle Tier' to be upgraded, this will copy your ODI Params details over into your new 11G Agent ODIParams, or you can simply :
                                  1) Install the 11G Agent on same location as current 10G agent ,
                                  2) Configure 11G Agent ODI Params (using same details as 10G Agent , I would re-run the password encyption to be sure)
                                  3) Launch 11G Agent - Either using a different port number (linked with your 11G Topology) or using the same Port Number as the 10G agent but shut down the 10G agent first.

I have only ever done it manually to be honest, not used the Middle Tier upgrade myself.
                                  2.) Does the ODI 10g Standalone Agent support Oracle Database as its master and work repository?
                                  For sure !!! You dont think Oracle want you to use other databases do you ;-) Saying that, Agent repos supported on other DB technologies also.

Hope this helps,
                                  Alastair