6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2012 1:25 PM by 775972 RSS

insufficient privileges upon executing stored procedure

Hello Gurus,
      i am new to plsql, working on a stored procedure.
      basically, trying to create a temporary table using dynamic sql .. below is my code,upon executing , i am encoutering insufficient privileges error. not sure where i am going wrong. any help is highly appreciated, thanks

---------code - successfully compiled----------
      SQL> CREATE OR REPLACE procedure stp_temp (i_table in varchar2)
      2 is
      3 table_creation_stmt varchar2(4000):='';
      4 begin
      6 table_creation_stmt := 'CREATE GLOBAL TEMPORARY TABLE '||i_table|| ' AS select * from TABLE_STGG';
      7 dbms_output.put_line ('Query is :'||table_creation_stmt);
      8 execute immediate table_creation_stmt;
      9 end;
      10 /

Procedure created.

SQL> exec stp_temp('table123');
      Query is :CREATE GLOBAL TEMPORARY TABLE table123 AS select * from TABLE_STGG
      BEGIN stp_temp('table123'); END;

ERROR at line 1:
      ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
      ORA-06512: at "E3US9T.STP_TEMP", line 8
      ORA-06512: at line 1

------table gets created upon copy/paste from above output ( query is)

SQL> CREATE GLOBAL TEMPORARY TABLE table123 AS select * from TABLE_STGG;

Table created.
        • 1. Re: insufficient privileges upon executing stored procedure
          sb92075
          Sandeep Thakur wrote:
          Hello Gurus,
          basically, trying to create a temporary table using dynamic sql .. below is my code,upon executing , i am encoutering insufficient privileges error. not sure where i am going wrong. any help is highly appreciated, thanks

2 is
          4 begin
          6 table_creation_stmt := 'CREATE GLOBAL TEMPORARY TABLE '||i_table|| ' AS select * from TABLE_STGG';
          9 end;
          10 /

Procedure created.

ERROR at line 1:

Table created.
          privilege acquired via ROLE does NOT apply within named PL/SQL procedure

direct GRANT is required.

BTW - It is bad approach to dynamically create objects.
          All application objects should be static between software version releases & created from SQL maintained under version control repository.
          • 2. Re: insufficient privileges upon executing stored procedure
            SomeoneElse
            Why on earth are you creating a GTT inside a stored procedure?

Create it once and be done with it.

To answer your question, your create table privilege was granted to you via a role. Roles are not considered in pl/sql, you need the privilege granted to you directly.
            • 3. Re: insufficient privileges upon executing stored procedure
              millest99
              Is the privilege create table granted directly to the owner of the procedure or to a role granted to the owner?

If it is granted to a role, try granting that privilege directly to the owner of the procedure.

Stephen
              • 4. Re: insufficient privileges upon executing stored procedure
                rp0428
                Welcome to the forum!

Whenever you post provide your 4 digit Oracle version
                >
                >
                Then your problem of how to create the GTT is solved; create it using DDL.

Your question has been ask many times in the past on the forum and it is usually ask by people with a sql server background where it is common and often necessary to create and use temporary tables.

In Oracle it is seldom necessary to use a temporary table; a temp table is typically only needed and used in special circumstances. That is, use of a GTT is the exception, not the rule.

If you have a problem query that needs tuned and you are trying to use a temp table to tune it you are likely taking the wrong approach. For a tuning request you should post the relevant information, query and DDL to a new thread in the sql and pl/sql forum.
                PL/SQL
                • 5. Re: insufficient privileges upon executing stored procedure
                  Mark Williams-Oracle
                  Sandeep Thakur wrote:
                  Hello Gurus,

2 is
                  4 begin
                  9 end;
                  10 /

Procedure created.

ERROR at line 1:

Table created.
                  In addition to what others have posted you may also want to research SQL Injection.

For example what do you think will happen if I invoke your procedure as follows:
                  begin
                    stp_temp('bad_table on commit preserve rows as select * from all_users --');
                  end;
                  /
                  Is it what you want to have happen?

This is one reason why doing DDL in a stored procedure is a bad idea. Pay particular attention to what SomeoneElse and RP have to say too.

And, for the record, the SQL and PL/SQL forum is PL/SQL.
                  • 6. Re: insufficient privileges upon executing stored procedure
                    Thank you all for your valuable inputs. after direct "create table" access my procedure works fine.
                    i agree its a bad idea to create GTT or have DDL in proc, but well, i failed to convince my folks and had to go through this route.

thanks again.
                    ST