2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2012 2:52 AM by scampsd RSS

Newbie : what storage to attach to what SUN server

scampsd
      Good afternoon,
      In my company we would like to add some additional storage to some SUN servers.

The SUN servers will either be V440 or T5120 servers.
      The external storage might be StorageTek3300, StorageTek240 or any other kind of storage (SUN).

Is there a limitation on the kind of storage that can be attached to certain kinds of SUN servers? Is there a document that describes this information?

Thanks
      Dominique
        • 1. Re: Newbie : what storage to attach to what SUN server
          bigdelboy
          scampsd wrote:
          Good afternoon,
          In my company we would like to add some additional storage to some SUN servers.

The SUN servers will either be V440 or T5120 servers.
          The external storage might be StorageTek3300, StorageTek240 or any other kind of storage (SUN).

Is there a limitation on the kind of storage that can be attached to certain kinds of SUN servers? Is there a document that describes this information?

Thanks
          Dominique
          If you go to docs.oracle.com and drill down there are handbooks for the servers you describe, however I suspect from your questions you might find it hard to weigh through it.

The sun servers you describe can attach to a fairly wide selection of external storage via fibre/SCSI/infiband/iSCSI but may sometimes/often need interface cards to do it.

Some types of storage may need additional drivers / utilities that are OS (and sometime even OS release) specific.
          I'm not imediately familiar with the storage boxes you mention, and I am not bothering to look them up.

However identifying the os you are trying to run and the interfaces your sun servers (and storage) have available would be a good start point. In general if you can get the physical connectivity and software driver/utilities (if any) then there are probably few limits most people will hit (this is a general opinion only, and their may be specific exceptions).
          • 2. Re: Newbie : what storage to attach to what SUN server
            scampsd
            Good morning,
            The reason of my question was "How difficult can it be to attach an external disk to a server?". From your answer I have the impression that it's most probably quite straightforward and that there aren't much limitations.

Thanks
            Dominique