This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2012 8:08 AM by rp0428 RSS

jre6 to ora8.1.7.4.1 JDBC driver

974602 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I'm searching for an old Oracle 8.1.7.4.1 the appropriate JDBC driver for Java 1.6.

thanks in advance!
  • 1. Re: jre6 to ora8.1.7.4.1 JDBC driver
    gimbal2 Guru
    Gee, you could have googled that in about 2 seconds.

Oracle drivers have a name like 'ojdbc5', 'ojdbc6', etc. The number indicates for which JDK they are meant, so you can use ojdbc6. Oracle drivers are backwards compatible.
  • 2. Re: jre6 to ora8.1.7.4.1 JDBC driver
    974602 Newbie
    Googled that also (before posting... :)

BUT

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/jdbc-faq-090281.html#02_02

states that I cannot use the latest ojdbc6.jar

Edited by: 971599 on Nov 16, 2012 1:11 AM

Edited by: 971599 on Nov 16, 2012 1:11 AM
  • 3. Re: jre6 to ora8.1.7.4.1 JDBC driver
    Tolls Journeyer
    So use ojdbc5 then.
    That's compatible with 1.6.
  • 4. Re: jre6 to ora8.1.7.4.1 JDBC driver
    rp0428 Guru
    >
    I'm searching for an old Oracle 8.1.7.4.1 the appropriate JDBC driver for Java 1.6.
    >
    It's not clear what your question is or problem is.

1. Are you looking for a JDBC driver that can connect to Oracle 8.1.7.4.1? Then you can use any JDBC jar file that is JDBC 10.2.0 or earlier as the doc you provided indicates. That link is the official Oracle page for JDBC support and has a link to the jar download page.

2. Are you looking for a JDBC driver that supports ALL of the Java 1.6 JDBC funcitonality? Then, again, as the doc shows you must use the 11.1.0 or later JDBC driver. Those drivers do NOT support connecting to your 8.1.7.4.1 database.

If you are looking for a JDBC driver that does both #1 and #2 then there is none; at least Oracle doesn't provide one.

So the JDBC jars you can use depend more on what level of JDBC functionality you intend to use.

I can use the CLASSES12.JAR file and JDK 1.6 and connect to and query my Oracle 11.2.0.1.0 database but that jar file won't support the latest JDBC enhancements available in the later jar files.

So as Tolls suggested you should generally use the LATEST jar file possible which, in your case, would be the OJDBC5.JAR file. That will connect to Oracle 8.1.7 and provides (from your doc)
    >
    Oracle 10.2.0 supports:

Full support for JDBC 3.0

Note that there is no real change in the support for the following in the database. All that has changed is that some methods that previously threw SQLException now do something more reasonable instead.

result-set holdability
    returning multiple result-sets.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points