This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2012 2:01 AM by 621864 RSS

FDM with Essbase Adapter: Mapped and Global Dimensions

621864 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

Im implementing FDM 11.1.2.2 with Planning, an trying to undersatnd the adapter. Can somebody explain me the diffeerence between Mapped and Global Dimensions? And furthermore the difference between active, required, use list, use as looked up?

I understand that mapped are the dimensions you will have in columns in your flat file and will have a mapping. Furthermore Im guessing Global Dimensions are the ones you will have as POV in your flat file and you need to map them in the Control Tables. However I dont understand what are the controlling tables for?

In different examples the control tables are periods and escenarios. However my source system is giving me the period in one column, so i really dont need it as a global dimension. What is the impact of not having periods as global and therefore not having it as a control table?

Sorry for my newbiee questions and kind regards!
  • 1. Re: FDM with Essbase Adapter: Mapped and Global Dimensions
    SH Guru
    In FDM the target period (month/year) and scenario is driven by the settings in your POV. The period and scenario you choose here determines where it goes in the target not the content of your file. Therefore you can have a data file for say November 2012 actuals but load via FDM with a POV set to January 2012 Budget and thats where all the data will go. In your import format you will therfore only set associations with the Mapped dimensions so that the relevant source values are associated with the correct dimension mapping table. Control tables control the associations for Periods and Scenarios/Categories. In your case the Period value in column one will not be used for any mapping activity.

You can put validations into FDM scripts to check the data content of the file matches the Period / Scenario settings in the selected POV but as FDM is primarily a user driven load process this isn't normally necessary.
  • 2. Re: FDM with Essbase Adapter: Mapped and Global Dimensions
    621864 Newbie
    Thank You!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points