This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2012 12:57 AM by bigdelboy RSS

Advice required

733274 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
I work for a ITES company as a support analyst holding 2.5 years of experience. Now that I wanted to shift my career to Oracle DBA Admin doing certifications like OCA first & then try out for job oppurtunities & then later pursue OCP cert.

Advise me if the above approach/path is suitable for me & let me know doing this certfications will fetch me a job related to DBA domain?

Regards,
Ronnie.
  • 1. Re: Advice required
    matthew_morris Expert
    Advise me if the above approach/path is suitable for me & let me know doing this certfications will fetch me a job related to DBA domain?
    Be aware that having an Oracle certification and no Oracle experience doesn't mean that recruiters will be banging on your door trying to hire you. Certifications are an element in getting hired -- they are not a guarantee. I wrote an article a few months ago that discusses the obstacles in getting a job as a DBA with just an OCA certification.

http://ezinearticles.com/?I-Just-Got-an-Oracle-Certification---How-Can-I-Get-Hired-As-a-DBA?&id=7057698

As a general rule, it is easier to get hired as an Oracle developer with no experience than as a DBA. Developers aren't in charge of making sure that the company's database doesn't suddenly go belly up and lose millions of dollars worth of data. The PL/SQL developer track might be one that you'd want to look at.
  • 2. Re: Advice required
    LaserSoft Journeyer
    Hi

First work for PLSQL developer, Thumb rule is, a good PLSQL developer can be good DBA in future because of two reasons

1. DBA has to help developers in development stages for fine tuning queries and writing SQL statements for minimizing I/O
    2. Good PLSQL developer will be GOOD DBA in future
    3. DBA has to know all the options in SQL lang, so that he can help developer in future

Thanks
    LaserSoft
  • 3. Re: Advice required
    bigdelboy Pro
    LaserSoft wrote:
    Hi

First work for PLSQL developer, Thumb rule is, a good PLSQL developer can be good DBA in future because of two reasons
    I like this answer in many ways. It is typically appropriate for the set of DBA's who have to work with developers; however there are others who may not have to do this.

>
    1. DBA has to help developers in development stages for fine tuning queries and writing SQL statements for minimizing I/O
    Some have to do this ... others dont. But it is generally help for most DBA's if they can do this.
    2. Good PLSQL developer will be GOOD DBA in future
    This doesn't always apply. To take the extreme example a company may have a superb developer who is a complete nutter .... he perhaps may not interact unproductively as a DBA but a good manager may enable him to contribute his development skills without undue problems.

That aside one can get a certain clarity of mind that certain good developers and power users could be trained through to become good DBAs for their company.

And I scummer the idea that simply expecting a person to come off the street with 4 weeks training and no other relevant training and be a good DBA.  This only works for companies stupid enough to outsource their vital functioning to to such providers ... so given the short term profit profit objectives of some companies perhaps their remains a market.  There is the odd exception to this.

3. DBA has to know all the options in SQL lang, so that he can help developer in future
    Again IMHO not absolutely true for all DBA's. IMHO In a certification exam context most DBA's can get by their day to day jobs by knowing a subset of 1z0-051 topics and having enough sense to locate, find documentation on and use DDL pertaining to managing the database ( even for something they've never come across before). But few, perhaps even those helping developers regularly, need to know ALL 1z0-047 topics (though I would not deny some might need to know SQL beyond the topics of 1z0-047).

Perhaps a key skill is to be able to be able to effectively research, explore and learn something one does not know in an effective manner

>
    Thanks
    LaserSoft
    PS: Lasersoft ... it looks like I've really criticised your post heavily ..... but actually really liked your thinking especially for DBA's who spend a lot of time with a group of developers.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points