This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 15, 2013 7:00 AM by MikeLi RSS

Demo Vision Installation of Oracle EBS R12.1.3

Don71 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello there,

I understood from our DBA that installing Oracle EBS R12 is much easier, using the Oracle VM Templates: E-Business Suite.

So I downloaded from edelivery the following:
1. Oracle Linux Release 6 Update 3 Media Pack for x86_64 (64 bit)
2. Oracle VM 3.1.1 Media Pack for x86_64 (64 bit)
3. Oracle VM Templates for Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.1.3 Vision Media Pack for x86 (64 bit)

My hardware configuration is as follows:
Laptop: Sony
HarDisk: 500 GB
RAM : 8 GB RAM (which I will make it 12 GB for use of EBS)

I came to know that Oracle VM on installing will wipe out the host OS Windows 7 from my laptop. That was quite a hit for me to hear after a painful week of downloading the above files.

A colleague of mine told me to use Oracle VirtualBox instead, install Linux and then Oracle EBS, but I won't be able to Install Oracle VM Template for Oracle EBS and it needs modification.

I am a Technical EBS Consultant and would like to know more about installation of Oracle EBS both for:
1. Oracle VM Template for EBS
2. Oracle EBS installation in Oracle VirtualBox
3. If it is possible to install Oracle VM Template for Oracle EBS in Oracle VirtaulBox, if yes what modification needs to done

Would appreciate, if someone has gone through the above installation could please guide me to the correct resource and share with me their expeirence. This will help me.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Don
  • 1. Re: Demo Vision Installation of Oracle EBS R12.1.3
    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle Employee ACE
    So I downloaded from edelivery the following:
    1. Oracle Linux Release 6 Update 3 Media Pack for x86_64 (64 bit)
    2. Oracle VM 3.1.1 Media Pack for x86_64 (64 bit)
    3. Oracle VM Templates for Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.1.3 Vision Media Pack for x86 (64 bit)

My hardware configuration is as follows:
    Laptop: Sony
    HarDisk: 500 GB
    RAM : 8 GB RAM (which I will make it 12 GB for use of EBS)

I came to know that Oracle VM on installing will wipe out the host OS Windows 7 from my laptop. That was quite a hit for me to hear after a painful week of downloading the above files.
    Correct.
    A colleague of mine told me to use Oracle VirtualBox instead, install Linux and then Oracle EBS, but I won't be able to Install Oracle VM Template for Oracle EBS and it needs modification.

I am a Technical EBS Consultant and would like to know more about installation of Oracle EBS both for:
    1. Oracle VM Template for EBS
    2. Oracle EBS installation in Oracle VirtualBox
    3. If it is possible to install Oracle VM Template for Oracle EBS in Oracle VirtaulBox, if yes what modification needs to done

Would appreciate, if someone has gone through the above installation could please guide me to the correct resource and share with me their expeirence. This will help me.
    Please see these docs/links

Introduction to Oracle VM, Oracle VM Manager and EBS template deployment [ID 1355641.1]

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/vm/ebs-093153.html

Build your own Private Oracle E-Business Suite R12 Platform/Infrastructure as a Service Cloud using Oracle VM Templates: Step by Step Installation & Configuration Guide
    http://www.brainsurface.com/build-your-own-private-oracle-e-business-suite-r12-platforminfrastructure-as-a-service-cloud-using-oracle-vm-templates-step-by-step-installation-a-configuration-guide

https://forums.oracle.com/forums/search.jspa?threadID=&q=VirtualBox&objID=c3&dateRange=all&userID=&numResults=15&rankBy=10001

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 2. Re: Demo Vision Installation of Oracle EBS R12.1.3
    Don71 Newbie
    Hi Hussein,

Thanks for your quick help. I will walk through your referred links.

Regards
    Donnie
  • 3. Re: Demo Vision Installation of Oracle EBS R12.1.3
    MikeLi Newbie
    Hi Don,
    I have a DELL laptop with same config as your (although max RAM is 8GB so I cannot add more even if I want). I also attempted to install R12 EBS and got stuck on the same issue that Oracle VM will wipe out the host. It is impossible for me as I use my laptop for other things.

I saw online article to install VM Manager on Virtualbox and then Install R12 templates on the VM Manager. But I have concern about 8G RAM and 500G disk to host VM Manager, R12 database and Application layers, so I want to ensure it will work before investing more time.

I wonder if you have gone through with Virtualbox to install R12 EBS and found any issues with it?

Thanks!
    Mike.
  • 4. Re: Demo Vision Installation of Oracle EBS R12.1.3
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Pl see my blog (linked in my profile) on how to install R12.1.1 on a Linux VM (using Virtualbox) on a Win 7 Home machine

HTH
    Srini
  • 5. Re: Demo Vision Installation of Oracle EBS R12.1.3
    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle Employee ACE
    MikeLi wrote:
    Hi Don,
    I have a DELL laptop with same config as your (although max RAM is 8GB so I cannot add more even if I want). I also attempted to install R12 EBS and got stuck on the same issue that Oracle VM will wipe out the host. It is impossible for me as I use my laptop for other things.

I saw online article to install VM Manager on Virtualbox and then Install R12 templates on the VM Manager. But I have concern about 8G RAM and 500G disk to host VM Manager, R12 database and Application layers, so I want to ensure it will work before investing more time.

I wonder if you have gone through with Virtualbox to install R12 EBS and found any issues with it?

Thanks!
    Mike.
    Please see my reply in this thread -- Re: Can I use OVM templates with VirtualBox

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 6. Re: Demo Vision Installation of Oracle EBS R12.1.3
    Don71 Newbie
    Hello Mike,

I had not a good experience installing VM Template. I choose to install it on a external hard disk using my laptop. It seemed I choose wrong option while installing Linux and my whole laptop hard drive was wiped out. So I just stopped and asked an expert to do it for me. A colleague of mine installed the VM Template on a mobile hard disk. I tried it using my laptop by setting the first boot to USB drive. It did boot and at a certain point it just stopped. That brought me to a certain frustration level.

There are a lot of article on the web and also on our forum about VM Template.

Now the easy way to do is just use it via VMWare.

Regards
    Don
  • 7. Re: Demo Vision Installation of Oracle EBS R12.1.3
    MikeLi Newbie
    Thanks for sharing the experience, Don.
    And thanks Srini for sharing his blog post and the link http://www.pythian.com/blog/build-ebs-sandbox-1hr/

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points