2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 18, 2012 10:59 AM by rp0428 RSS

Is there a way to control PUBLIC access?

alarzabal
      I just realized we have a LOT of stuff granted to PUBLIC for different reasons. Is there a way to prevent a user from accessing objects who have "wide-open" access to PUBLIC?

Thanks,

A.
        • 1. Re: Is there a way to control PUBLIC access?
          JustinCave
          Other than revoking the grant to PUBLIC and granting access only to those users and/or roles that need it, no.

Well, I'd wager that you could probably purchase and install Data Vault and figure out a way to effectively revoke access to an object that is granted to PUBLIC but that would be a confusing (and expensive) architecture. And it would be a bit like swatting a fly with a hammer in that Data Vault is overkill for this sort of thing.

Justin
          • 2. Re: Is there a way to control PUBLIC access?
            rp0428
            >
            I just realized we have a LOT of stuff granted to PUBLIC for different reasons. Is there a way to prevent a user from accessing objects who have "wide-open" access to PUBLIC?
            >
            If you plan to revoke privileges from PUBLIC you might want to take a look at Pete Finnigan's blog about some of the issues you might have if you revoke privileges from public and issues in keeping those privileges revoked.
            http://www.petefinnigan.com/weblog/archives/00001220.htm