1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2012 3:20 PM by Merlin128 RSS

Apex 4.2 incompatible with IE8?

andres31
      When i try to log in to apex.oracle.com (http://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=4550:1:0) with Internet Explorer 8, i get the following javascript error:
      Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727;
       .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648;
       .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0C)
      Timestamp: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 23:16:53 UTC

Line: 12
      Char: 461
      Code: 0
      URI: http://apex.oracle.com/i/libraries/apex/minified/desktop_all.min.js?v=4.2.0.00.27
      When i try to run my application, i get the exact same message when i try to click on a tab.
      No problem logging in or running my app with FF16 from the same machine or with IE9 from a Windows-7 machine.
      The same problem with another site from the day they upgraded to apex 4.2.
      How to regain access to apex 4.2 with ie8?

Andres
        • 1. Re: Apex 4.2 incompatible with IE8?
          TexasApexDeveloper
          Seriously, Friends don't let FRIENDS develop/use IE....

Thank you,

Tony Miller
          Ruckersville, VA
          • 2. Re: Apex 4.2 incompatible with IE8?
            Arie Geller
            Hello Andres,

>> Apex 4.2 incompatible with IE8?

APEX 4.2 is officially compatible with IE8 - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37097_01/doc/install.42/e35123/pre_require.htm#BABCHJIB.

As far as my experience goes, it’s also compatible with IE8 in the real world. I have no problem login into apex.oracle.com using IE8.

>> How to regain access to apex 4.2 with ie8?

You are getting a specific error message. If you have access to a local APEX 4.2 instance (as you need access to a non-minified source file) you should inspect the underlying JavaScript file and identify the missing element in line 12.

Regards,
            Arie.

-------------------------------------------------------
            ♦ Please remember to mark appropriate posts as correct/helpful. For the long run, it will benefit us all.

♦ Author of Oracle Application Express 3.2 – The Essentials and More
            • 3. Re: Apex 4.2 incompatible with IE8?
              Patrick Wolf-Oracle
              Hi Andres,

as Arie already pointed out, run your application in debug mode, that will load non-minified JavaScript files. That should help to get correct line numbers in the JavaScript file which fails. If you are able to reproduce it with an application you have, can you upload that app to apex.oracle.com or create a simplified test case and tell us step by step how to reproduce it.

Thanks
              Patrick
              -----------
              My Blog: http://www.inside-oracle-apex.com
              APEX Plug-Ins: http://apex.oracle.com/plugins
              Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/patrickwolf
              • 4. Re: Apex 4.2 incompatible with IE8?
                Arie Geller
                Hi Patrick,

>> run your application in debug mode, that will load non-minified JavaScript files …

Very useful tip. I was not aware that Debug mode loads non-minified JavaScript files (of course, it makes a lot of sense, and probably worth mentioning in the documentation).

Thanks for sharing,
                Arie.

-------------------------------------------------------
                ♦ Please remember to mark appropriate posts as correct/helpful. For the long run, it will benefit us all.

♦ Author of Oracle Application Express 3.2 – The Essentials and More
                • 5. Re: Apex 4.2 incompatible with IE8?
                  fac586
                  Arie Geller wrote:
                  Hi Patrick,

>> run your application in debug mode, that will load non-minified JavaScript files …

Very useful tip. I was not aware that Debug mode loads non-minified JavaScript files (of course, it makes a lot of sense, and probably worth mentioning in the documentation).
                  Sort of mentioned in the documentation: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37097_01/doc/doc.42/e35125/bldr_attr.htm#CHDDHFJE

But probably worth mentioning in the Debugging chapter as it's not immediately clear that APEX debug mode is of use in JavaScript debugging.
                  • 6. Re: Apex 4.2 incompatible with IE8?
                    andres31
                    Thanks, great tip with the debug parameter.
                    Now the error message is as follows:

Line: 149
                    Char: 13
                    URI: http://apex.oracle.com/i/libraries/apex/page.js?v=4.2.0.00.27
                    this points to
                            // Internet Explorer form auto-complete feature doesn't work when the form is submitted
                            // via JavaScript. The solution is to call this IE specific function.
                            // see: support.microsoft.com/kb/329156
                            // The typeof test is needed because for some reason it is not a normal function which would be truthy
                            if (window.external && typeof window.external.AutoCompleteSaveForm == "unknown") {
                                window.external.AutoCompleteSaveForm( $("form[name=" + lOptions.form + "]", apex.gPageContext$).get(0) ); // 149
                            }
                            //Submit the current form, defaults to "wwv_flow" if not provided in option map
                            $( "form[name=" + lOptions.form + "]", apex.gPageContext$ ).trigger( "submit" );
                    As this piece of code is in the submit procedure, it explains why i can't log in and why i can't click on a button or on a tab in any application - because they all submit. But i'm still clueless why this fails with my IE8. What's wrong with it?

Andres
                    • 7. Re: Apex 4.2 incompatible with IE8?
                      Jens Marre
                      Hi Andres,

this typeof-test looks very odd.

If I run it in the IE8 developer console after opening the login page,
                      alert(typeof window.external.AutoCompleteSaveForm=="unkown");
                      I get "false".

If I run
                      alert( 
                        $("form[name=wwv_flow]", apex.gPageContext$).get(0)
                      ) ;
                      I get a "HTMLFormElement".

Jens
                      • 8. Re: Apex 4.2 incompatible with IE8?
                        Anthony Rayner-Oracle
                        Jens: The typeof check should definitely return true in IE8. It looks like you have a typo in 'unkown', perhaps that's giving you a false falsey there?

Andres: Do you get an error when executing the following in IE developer tools JavaScript console, when on the [url http://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/]apex.oracle.com login page:
                        window.external.AutoCompleteSaveForm($("form[name=wwv_flow]"));
                        Regards,
                        Anthony.

Edited by: Anthony Rayner on Nov 21, 2012 1:10 PM
                        • 9. Re: Apex 4.2 incompatible with IE8?
                          andres31
                          Hi Anthony,
                          when i run
                          window.external.AutoCompleteSaveForm($("form[name=wwv_flow]"));
                          I do get an error, but it doesn't say anything. It just displays the error icon and two quotation marks - *""*. That's it. No text. When i click the button "Login to Application Express" in the main window, the script console displays the error icon and the text Element not found. - without the quotation marks. And the link to the error position - desktop_all.min.js?v=4.1.0.00.27, line 12 character 461. So in general it is capable of displaying error messages.

Andres
                          • 10. Re: Apex 4.2 incompatible with IE8?
                            Jens Marre
                            @Anthony: You´re right. Correcting the typo I am able to execute both calls.

@Andres: Your problem might be related to an add-on. Maybe try to deactivate those.

I saw other people having problems executing window.external.AutoCompleteSaveForm on the web. As an improvement there should probably be better a try-catch-block wrapped around the call in desktop_all.min.js.

Jens
                            • 11. Re: Apex 4.2 incompatible with IE8?
                              Anthony Rayner-Oracle
                              Hi both,

Andres: Thanks for trying that. So it does seem to be something related to your specific version of IE8. As Jens mentioned, I also found references on the web to others having difficulty with execution of this function, but nothing with any great detail. Do you know if you're IE8 has any additional or custom settings, or security settings set?

Jens: Regarding your suggestion, funny you should say that. A [url https://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=2454769&tstart=15]different issue was reported on the forums recently, relating to page submit not working in Windows Phone. This actually came down to the same block of code, and we determined the safest fix was to add a try / catch block around this very code, to catch the exception that was being thrown there and let page submission proceed. This was filed as bug #15858237 and is already fixed in 4.2.1. So actually, I believe this should also take care of this issue, although obviously with the cost that entries won't be saved into your browser's autocomplete dictionary. With APEX's JavaScript based form submission (which is what causes native autocomplete in IE to not work in the first place), we found no other safe way to do this for the Windows Phone scenario.

To verify the fix, I hacked the same fixed code into an application on apex.oracle.com, if you wouldn't mind testing to see if you can login with your IE8?

Please go to this [url http://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=67950:101]login page, and login as guest/123456, and let me know if the page submits for you?

Regards,
                              Anthony.

Edited by: Anthony Rayner on Nov 22, 2012 1:43 PM
                              • 12. Re: Apex 4.2 incompatible with IE8?
                                andres31
                                Hi Jens and Anthony,

Jens, i tried at first to disable some of the addons and then disabled all of them, restarted the browser ... no changes. Still the same error.

Anthony, i've never messed with the security settings - nothing changed there. Never installed any tweaks to ie so no special settings i am aware of. I tried your test login page, and yes, i was able to log in without any problems. So although we don't know what's causing this error, the good news is the fix is on its way (4.2.1). Thank you for the effort you've put into this issue.

Regards,
                                Andres
                                • 13. Re: Apex 4.2 incompatible with IE8?
                                  Bas de Klerk
                                  Hi Anthony,

just encountered exactly the same problem at one of my clients. Is there already a planned release date for 4.2.1 ?

The error at the client was the same, context was a bit different
                                  Gebruikersagent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; InfoPath.1; MS-RTC LM 8; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
                                  Tijdstempel: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 09:59:03 UTC

Bericht: Kan element niet vinden.

Regel: 12
                                  Teken: 461
                                  URI: http://<<server>>/i/libraries/apex/minified/desktop_all.min.js?v=4.2.0.00.27
                                  Regards
                                  Bas
                                  • 14. Re: Apex 4.2 incompatible with IE8?
                                    Merlin128
                                    I am having the exact same problem. some xp sp3 ie8 machines work, and some dont, I can't figure out the difference between them.. there are no add-ins that could be conflicting..
                                    the ones that dont work, wont work with apex.oracle.com, my apps, or my apex builder site..
                                    1 2 Previous Next