This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2012 5:16 AM by PavanKumar RSS

Recover a Small Database

fadiwilliam Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
I Created my oracle database oracle 11.2.0.1 with only one user called "X" on server called "Server_X" , the user built on deftault tablespace "tabsp_X" with data file "datafile_X"

due to power failure, the "Server_X" went DOWN , the power supply damaged and we couldn't find another one like it.

so I could take the hard disk of the "Server_X" and connect it with another device so I could get copy of the datafile "datafile_X"

we bought new server "Server_Xnew" and I installed oracle 11.2.0.1 , I created the user "X" on the new server with the same

configuration , so how can I use the datafile "datafile_X" to copy the data of the user X on the new server.

Thanks a lot.

Any Help will be appreciated.

Fady
  • 1. Re: Recover a Small Database
    sb92075 Guru
    fadiwilliam wrote:
    I Created my oracle database oracle 11.2.0.1 with only one user called "X" on server called "Server_X" , the user built on deftault tablespace "tabsp_X" with data file "datafile_X"

due to power failure, the "Server_X" went DOWN , the power supply damaged and we couldn't find another one like it.

so I could take the hard disk of the "Server_X" and connect it with another device so I could get copy of the datafile "datafile_X"

we bought new server "Server_Xnew" and I installed oracle 11.2.0.1 , I created the user "X" on the new server with the same

configuration , so how can I use the datafile "datafile_X" to copy the data of the user X on the new server.

you can NOT use datafile_X on other DB
  • 2. Re: Recover a Small Database
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    fadiwilliam wrote:

Thanks a lot.

Any Help will be appreciated.
    Fady
    To recover the database , you would need the archive logs that would sync the files of your db with the rest of the file i.e. control files and so on. By copying it to the another machine or trying to attach the file to another db won't recover it. Did you have your db in the archive log mode before it got crashed?

Aman....
  • 3. Re: Recover a Small Database
    FahdMirza Oracle ACE
    Well,
    I hope you have the backup and the backup is good and was not located at that crashed server. If you don't have that then it's very tricky. May be, just very may be, you might look at some tools which can recover the data from disk to get your database back (Google such tools). Or, you might install Oracle software at new server, and attach the old disk from crashed server to the new server, and set the environment and try to bring that database up. It's not a pleasant situation if there is no backup.

regards
  • 4. Re: Recover a Small Database
    fadiwilliam Explorer
    Yes , the db was in the archive log mode before it got crashed, I have the archive logs.
  • 5. Re: Recover a Small Database
    PavanKumar Guru
    Hi,

If you have archive logs, well that's good. Any chance of having old control files , if yes ? then try to build same the structure and try to create an controlfile (if you have previous old one then will and good - try to mount ). If yes then you might proceed with recovery on top of availabiliy of your archives.

- Pavan Kumar N

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points