This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2012 1:50 AM by Gennady Sigalaev RSS

Does TT will provide better TPS for my application?

914264 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all, we have built a java application with oracle database backend.
After deploying the application to the product line, we find it has a poor TPS because of oracle database.
The bottleneck is the poor performance of IO of the database server but we have no more cost on purchasing better hardware.
After google a lot,TT seems to be a potential solution for our poor TPS.
Updatable cache loading data into memory from oracle can be persistent to oracle async and automatically.
This is a really cool stuff!
But here comes my questions about applying TT to my application,I need the minimum modification.
So the simplest approach is to change the underlying datasource to be TT datasource.
Our business logic is written with oracle storing process in which use sequence to create ID for new record.
I donot know if TT will pass through statments such as sequence and storing process to oracle or not?
If not do I need create oracle storing process or sequence in TT again and TT can keep synchronization just like other tables?
Sorry for so many question from TT newbie.

Regards & Thanks
  • 1. Re: Does TT will provide better TPS for my application?
    ChrisJenkins Guru
    TimesTen supports PL/SQL and sequences but those need to be created and executed in TimesTen not in Oracle. TimesTen does not cache/sync PL/SQL procedures or sequences with Oracle DB.

Chris
  • 2. Re: Does TT will provide better TPS for my application?
    914264 Newbie
    thanks expert Chris.
    If there are no compatibility problems between oracle procedure and timesten procedure
    and sequence in timesten can keep being consistent with active-standby pair,
    I can just recreate these procedures and sequences in timesten and delete them from oracle, right?
  • 3. Re: Does TT will provide better TPS for my application?
    Gennady Sigalaev Journeyer
    Hi 911261,
    If there are no compatibility problems between oracle procedure and timesten procedure
    There are a lot of restrictions for PL/SQL in TimesTen (TimesTen supports only 12 system packages, doesn't fully support LOBs, and etc.). All limits you can find in documentation (http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E21901_01/doc/timesten.1122/e21639/toc.htm)
    Basically, based on my experience, the migration PL/SQL code from Oracle to TimesTen could be very difficult sometimes, so I would advice you to read the TimesTen documentation first and then to check your code in Oracle DB for compatibility.
    Additionally you can use ttSrcScan utility for checking you PL/SQL code for compatibility (a little example here - http://ggsig.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/plsql-timesten-ttsrcscan.html).

Best regards,
    Gennady

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points