This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2012 11:10 AM by Brandye Barrington RSS

Upgrade Certification

asif.maqbool Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have Oracle 8i DBA certification and wants to upgrade. Please advise me which is the best and easiy way for me to get oracle11g certification.

Thanks.
Asif
  • 1. Re: Upgrade Certification
    bigdelboy Pro
    asif.maqbool wrote:
    I have Oracle 8i DBA certification and wants to upgrade. Please advise me which is the best and easiy way for me to get oracle11g certification.

Thanks.
    Asif
    The authorative source is http://certification.oracle.com { well actually the authorative source is the rules in the oracle certifcation database .... trust the code, the comments in the code, and the documentation in that order ... IMHO stood true for decades ... }.

There useed to be a page for upgrading your certification ... thats sort of disappeared .... but a browse of the exams page shows whats not retired and gives a best current viewpoint.
    ( http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=42 )

So I read it the Oracle 8i OCP DBA going to 11g DBA OCP in the least exams can do:

1z0-035 to 10g DBA OCP then 1z0-050 to 11g DBA OCP
    OR
    1z0-030 to 9i DBA OCP then 1z0-055 to 11g DBA OCP
    OR
    1z0-030 + 1z0-040 + 1z0-050 for the mad.

If you wait for 12c DBA OCP (abount 6/9 months IMHO) then 1z0-035 + 1z1-065 would probably get you their .... but I can taking a big big guess on this ... as that is an extrapolated future that may not come to pass.

The option you wont see advertised is 1z0-052 + 1z0-053 which is okay if you are aleady N[N]x DBA OCP as the DBA OCP nullifies the training requirement, assumes you have an SQL exam which I think you must.

Check also http://certview.oracle.com shows your certification.

Edited by: bigdelboy on Nov 19, 2012 8:15 PM ( I have read Matthews answer below and in the cold light of day feel mad was a little strong. We might call it glutton for punishment here here in the uk. I left out the easy/best discussion ... fairly well for the reasons mentioned by Matthew below).
  • 2. Re: Upgrade Certification
    matthew_morris Expert
    Bigdelboy covered the options well, but didn't address your question about 'easiest' or 'best'. Mind you, since both of these are extremely open to interpretation, it's impossible to give a definitive answer. I can at least suggest why you might choose one path over another. The three paths from the prior post follow, along with commentary:

*1z0-035 to 10g DBA OCP then 1z0-050 to 11g DBA OCP*

At the end of this path you will be certified in three releases of Oracle: 8i, 10G and 11G. If you are going to skip a certification, this is the route I'd suggest as it will give you the two more recent certifications. 9i is well on its way out, so having a certification in it is less valuable than one in 10G.

Difficulty is much harder to judge. I will note that it is much harder to find materials for the 'skip' certifications like 1Z0-035 or 1Z0-055 than for the normal 'single release' upgrade tests. When studying for these, you generally have to combine study materials made for the two individual upgrade tests.

*1z0-030 to 9i DBA OCP then 1z0-055 to 11g DBA OCP*

At the end of this path you will be certified in three releases of Oracle, 8i, 9i, and 11G. As per the above, I'd recommend this route less than the first one.

I'll note that there is a certification study guide available for 1Z0-055. I wrote it, but that doesn't change my recommendation that you choose the other two-certification route in lieu of this one.

*1z0-030 + 1z0-040 + 1z0-050 for the mad.*

I don't really agree with the 'mad' part. This route adds one more exam, but also results in another certification. It's more time and more expense, but can arguably be worth it. Also, you'll be able to find dedicated study materials for all three of the tests. I would probably go this route... but I'm a little weird where certifications are concerned. I think my recommendation for most anyone else would be the first route (8i -> 10G ->11G).
  • 3. Re: Upgrade Certification
    asif.maqbool Newbie
    Thank you so much Matthew. Your answer really appreciate able. I'm agree to you but I'd like to get your opinion about 1Z0-052 and 1Z0-053 exams. This path can save my money and time. What do you think? Currently, I am not working in IT industry.

Thanks.
    Asif

Edited by: asif.maqbool on Nov 19, 2012 8:45 PM
  • 4. Re: Upgrade Certification
    matthew_morris Expert
    I'd like to get your opinion about 1Z0-052 and 1Z0-053 exams. This path can save my money and time.
    As of release 9i (if I remember correctly) Oracle added a training requirement to become an OCP. Candidates who already had an OCP could continue to upgrade their certifications without getting training, but anyone getting an OCP from scratch has to attend one of a list of allowable courses from an Oracle-approved training center.

bigdelboy says that having the 8i OCP nullifies the training requirement even if you use 1Z0-052 and 1Z0-053 to get your 11G OCP rather than using the upgrade tests. I'm not positive that's the case, which is why I left that option out.

Even if the training isn't required -- as bigdelboy indicated, that track will require a SQL component in addition to 1Z0-052 and 1Z0-053. The standard test for that is 1Z0-051, but the older 1Z0-007 (which came out with 9i) can also be used. Since you certified in 8i, you almost certainly passed an even older SQL exam than 1Z0-007, and I don't know if it would apply. That means you might have to take a third test. I don't really consider this to be an attractive alternative. Two of the other three options were also two-test tracks, so there is no money savings, and using either of the two-test upgrade tracks gains you an OCP certification in two releases rather than just one.
  • 5. Re: Upgrade Certification
    Brandye Barrington Expert
    I can confirm that with the 8i certification, you will not be required to complete training even if you opt for the 051 (or another SQL exam), 051, 053 route.

Regards,
    Brandye Barrington
    Certification Forum Moderator
  • 6. Re: Upgrade Certification
    matthew_morris Expert
    ...you will not be required to complete training even if you opt for...
    Cool. Next time I can field that one without you. :)

That said, will SQL exams older than 1Z0-007 be acceptable in lieu of 1Z0-051? I believe that the SQL exam to fulfill the 8i OCP requirement was *1Z0-001: Introduction to Oracle: SQL and PL/SQL*.
  • 7. Re: Upgrade Certification
    bigdelboy Pro
    1z0-001 is an acceptable SQL exam. It was retired a year or two ago. Its no longer even on the retirements page:

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=206

... which now only shows recent retirements.

At the end of the day I cant give authoratively on this .... only the Oracle Certificaiton Programme makes the rules, but some ancient posts would directly or indirectly verify this, and I am as confident as I can be with this statement. ( Its also not a high stakes statement IMHO).
  • 8. Re: Upgrade Certification
    Brandye Barrington Expert
    I can confirm that the 001 exam will fulfill the SQL exam requirement if it was passed before it retired.

Regards,
    Brandye Barrington
    Certification Forum Moderator

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points