This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2013 11:53 AM by Colm Divilly RSS

2.0 Listener on Apache Tomcat

vlloracle Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Guys,

need your help. Trying to run 2.0 Listener on Tomcat 7. Was running 1.1.4 before and everything was working perfectly fine.
Did configuration per manual. When trying localhost:8080/apex I'm redirected to normal url (kind of http://localhost:8080/apex/f?p=4550:1:3416114183042) but the result is absolutely empty (not the page, but result in "view source"). Tomcat logs show normal HTTP 200 code returned.
Can see open sessions in DB by APEX_PUBLIC_USER and APEX_LISTENER - looks like everything is fine here.
Any idea?

Thanks!!!!!!!
Vlad
  • 1. Re: 2.0 Listener on Apache Tomcat
    vlloracle Newbie
    Forgot - Apex 4.2. Upgraded from 4.0. After upgrade everything was working perfectly fine with 1.1.4 Listener, so my guess - this is something related to 2.0 listener itself...
  • 2. Re: 2.0 Listener on Apache Tomcat
    Udo Guru
    Forgot - Apex 4.2. Upgraded from 4.0
    Are you sure you've copied the new images for APEX 4.2 to your Tomcat? If so, do you use a war file to deploy them or do you use the ROOT-context to serve static contents?
    After upgrade everything was working perfectly fine with 1.1.4 Listener, so my guess - this is something related to 2.0 listener itself...
    How much time (and how many restarts of your browser and Tomcat) had been between these two events?

-Udo
  • 3. Re: 2.0 Listener on Apache Tomcat
    vlloracle Newbie
    Thanks for you answer, Udo!!!

Images are definitely there. As I said - 4.2 was working perfectly fine after the upgrade and new images deployed to the server.
    Also, whenever I had problem with images before - there were problems with the page, but there was SOMETHING returned. Here - absolutely empty page (no source at all). Though http 200 return code.

As for time between these events - all happened the same day. We upgraded to 4.2. Deployed new images. Confirmed everything is working fine. Start playing with 2.0 listener...
  • 4. Re: 2.0 Listener on Apache Tomcat
    vlloracle Newbie
    Missed images deployment question - we used war file for deployment But we deploy to ROOT - not under apex. And this is how it was always before...
  • 5. Re: 2.0 Listener on Apache Tomcat
    vlloracle Newbie
    Still trying to figure out what is going on...
    In one of APEX_PUBLIC_USER active sessions I found SQL like this:

declare
    msg varchar2(100);
    begin
    dbms_session.modify_package_state(dbms_session.reinitialize);
    msg := dbms_java.endsession_and_related_state;
    end;

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe dbms_java.endsession_and_related_state is defined in 11G. We are on 10.2.0.5.0. Am I missing something?
  • 6. Re: 2.0 Listener on Apache Tomcat
    vlloracle Newbie
    Getting more and more interesting :-)

If you wait long enough (20-30 minutes) and refresh the browser on the same url, that was giving absolutely blank screen before (http://localhost:8080/apex/f?p=4550:1:3416114183042) - you are getting perfect login screen! All the images are fine, everything looks great. But if you try to login - getting absolutely blank screen with the url of below:

http://localhost:8080/apex/f?p=4550:1:3731259265274&notification_msg=Invalid%20Login%20Credentials%3Cdiv%20id%3D%22apex_login_throttle_div%22%3EPlease%20wait%20%3Cspan%20id%3D%22apex_login_throttle_sec%22%3E5%3C%2Fspan%3E%20seconds%20to%20login%20again.%3C%2Fdiv%3E/D21D8256D5DABCE886026BD83B085AD2/

And yes - I used wrong id/password when trying to login.

Any idea?
  • 7. Re: 2.0 Listener on Apache Tomcat
    vlloracle Newbie
    OK, tried to rollback to 1.1.4 version and as expected everything is working perfectly fine.

With 2.0: Very strange - if you leave browser for 20-30 minutes on the same initially absolutely blank page and refresh - you get correct result. And after you login successfully - you have kind of regular admin screens without any delay or blank screens. If you logof - same story. Blank screens, keep them for 20 minutes alone, then refresh - you are in.

When I said "kind" of regular screens - any screens, that have interactive reports, show error "there can be one interactive report per page". And just to confirm: when we rolled back to 1.1.4 - same screens worked perfectly well.

I'm lost 100% and hope only that sooner or later some Tomcat/Listener/Apex gurus can help me :-)

Meanwhile - back to 1.1.4 working version...
  • 8. Re: 2.0 Listener on Apache Tomcat
    800539 Newbie
    I installed Apex Listener 2 on Tomcat 6.0.33 by this instruction http://blog.warp11.nl/2011/05/fully-freeware-apex-environment-ii-tomcat-6-apex-listener/. Apex 4.1. All works perfectly.
  • 9. Re: 2.0 Listener on Apache Tomcat
    Colm Divilly Journeyer
    Thanks for your report,

there is a regression in Listener 2.0.0 that causes APEX not to work properly on 10.x databases. We will release a patch release of 2.0 to address this (and other issues reported in this forum) in due course. The problem does not affect 11.x databases.

C.

Edited by: Colm Divilly on Feb 8, 2013 7:45 AM
  • 10. Re: 2.0 Listener on Apache Tomcat
    vlloracle Newbie
    Thanks a lot for the update!

Any info on when can we expect the fix? Just roughly - need to know to plan for our company accordingly...
  • 11. Re: 2.0 Listener on Apache Tomcat
    887742 Newbie
    We are also interested in:
    (a) whether or not the patch/fix for APEX Listener 2.0 with DBMS 10g has been completed; and
    (b) (if not) what the current ETA for said patch is.
    (c) What the relevant links (tech notes, bug #'s, etc.) are for monitoring progress on this issue.

Thank you

Edited by: MarkB on Apr 11, 2013 10:28 AM
  • 12. Re: 2.0 Listener on Apache Tomcat
    Colm Divilly Journeyer
    The 10.2 regression was fixed in 2.0.1 which was released March 2013, the list of fixed issues is here:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/apex-listener/downloads/apex-listener-v201-bugsfixed-1905086.html

(the 10.2 issue is the first one listed).

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points