This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2012 11:57 AM by 38363 RSS

Active / Passive installation for oracle 11gR2

972657 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi
I want to install an active / passive Oracle Configuration for our new 11gR2 system.

We do not want to go full blown RAC as yet.

We already have an 11gR2 instance that I plan to CLONE to the production server(s).

So.
Can anyone detail the steps that I need to follow please.

i.e.
configure the 2 servers (VIFs/Interconnects)
Install GRID/CRS
Clone over the database (do I do this as a SINGLE NODE RAC?)

Thanks in advance for your help
  • 1. Re: Active / Passive installation for oracle 11gR2
    Marko Sutic Newbie
    Hello,

if you need physical clone of the database then check out how to setup Physical Standby database.

If you want to have supported opinion than you can go with - RAC One Node.

If you want to create resources manually then you can check:
    https://blogs.oracle.com/xpsoluxdb/entry/clusterware_11gr2_setting_up_an_activepassive_failover_configuration

Regards,
    Marko
  • 2. Re: Active / Passive installation for oracle 11gR2
    Victor Armbrust Oracle ACE
    You can also configure RAC to use only active/passive configuration, however the best option in this case is to use Physical Standby database with Data Guard.
    another option is OS cluster product
  • 3. Re: Active / Passive installation for oracle 11gR2
    LaserSoft Journeyer
    Hi

If you want to implement Active-Passive Cluster with minimum efforts - You need to Install Operating System Cluster in both the Nodes. Cluster Software will check the heart-beat of the nodes. If one Node is down then Cluster will automatically take all the components to Passive Node. Finally Passive Node will become Active Node.

Entire Switching components (Oracle Instance, Listener etc...) Cluster will take care of automatically from Active Node to Passive Node within MINIMAL TIME.

If you want to implement Active/Passive these are the available options in various Operating systems:

1. Oracle Solaris - - > Cluster Software is 'SUN Cluster 3.x"
    2. HP_UX - - > Cluster Software is 'Service Guard'
    3. IBM AIX - - > Cluster Software is 'HACMP'
    4. Windows - - > Cluster Software is 'MicroSoft Cluster (MSCS)'
    5. Redhat - - > Cluster Software is 'Redhat Cluster Suite'

Thanks
    LaserSoft
  • 4. Re: Active / Passive installation for oracle 11gR2
    972657 Newbie
    Thanks
    But does Oralce Cluster Ready Services not take care of this now - thus negating the need for a vendor specific solution?

All updates you have made are much appreciated,

Thanks again
  • 5. Re: Active / Passive installation for oracle 11gR2
    Marko Sutic Newbie
    Check this link I posted above:
    https://blogs.oracle.com/xpsoluxdb/entry/clusterware_11gr2_setting_up_an_activepassive_failover_configuration

You can use Oracle Clusterware to create active/passive failover cluster but this will not be supported by Oracle as you will manage resources with custom scripts.

Vendor specific solution is not essential - but to mention again - if you buy vendor specific solution you'll have support.

Regards,
    Marko
  • 6. Re: Active / Passive installation for oracle 11gR2
    LaserSoft Journeyer
    Hi

As i was explained you, Oralce Cluster Ready Services (CRS) normally we will use for either for 'Oracle RAC' or 'Oracle RACOne Node'.

But in both the options we gave buy licenses for Oracle RAC as well as Oracle RACOne Node.

But If you want to implement Active-Passive with minimal cost and effective solution is O perating System Cluster. Oracle RAC Or Oracle RACOne Node features are very related to application.

We have implemented minimum 6-8 sites on Operating System Cluster. So decide your option based Cost and Application.

Thanks
    LaserSoft
  • 7. Re: Active / Passive installation for oracle 11gR2
    Levi-Pereira Guru
    We do not want to go full blown RAC as yet.
    configure the 2 servers (VIFs/Interconnects)
    Install GRID/CRS
    Clone over the database (do I do this as a SINGLE NODE RAC?)
    Regarding Licences :

Oracle Grid Infrastructure (clusterware) do not need licence. It comes with the Database licence.

Third part Cluster Software (such as Power HA, etc) - You need check with vendor about license.

Regarding Failover:

Regardless of Software Clusterware that you will use ( clusterware,power ha and so on) you will need create resources with custom scripts (to start and stop database and relocate resource).

Using Oracle Clusterware, Oracle will support you about your scripts not about database. (e.g Your scripts is not failover due resource bugs)

My point of view and recomendation .... Go to Oracle Clusterware because you have no additional cost, can use many feature of GI that is fully supported by Oracle Database (like SCAN, ASM, ACFS and so on).

So, Oracle Clusterware provide much more resource to Oracle Database compared with other S/W cluster, and without additional cost.

Regard,
    Levi Pereira
  • 8. Re: Active / Passive installation for oracle 11gR2
    972657 Newbie
    Hi
    Thanks all for the updates

I have been performing a lot of research in this area and note that Oracle has been putting a lot of effort into Clusterware 11gR2 – Setting up an Active/Passive failover configuration (a part of Oracle 11gR2 Grid Infrastructure)

Are you sure this is not supported?

It seems that eventually I would like to move to full blown RAC, so logically to use Oracle Clusterware (formall Cluster Ready Services) would seem sensible

Thanks again
  • 9. Re: Active / Passive installation for oracle 11gR2
    972657 Newbie
    Thanks Levi
    That is my understanding too.

Much appreciated.
  • 10. Re: Active / Passive installation for oracle 11gR2
    Levi-Pereira Guru
    Little Note:

Since 2007 I have been done this type of implementation.

Oracle have a White Paper (from 11.1) explaing how do that. Some things change with 11.2 due new feature introduced, but the concept is the same.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/products/clusterware/overview/si-db-failover-11g-134623.pdf

To 11.2 Use link posted above by Marko Sutic.
  • 11. Re: Active / Passive installation for oracle 11gR2
    38363 Newbie
    We have been using Cold Failover Cluster support for SI Database failover since 2001 from OpenVMS, Tru64 (where CRS base code concepts were pulled/purchased from for 10.1, 10.2, 11.1) through the current 11.2 Environments with success. We use SI CFC to "uplift" the service for those SI environment and also run RAC databases as well on our environments. It allows for better use of resources and allows for movement. We use this with other apps, not just Oracle RDBMS. We have our Grid Control 10.2 & 11.1 also using CFC for uplift in availability.

The link provided by Marko Sutic is a good set and looks very similar to what we have been implemented for years.

Regards...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points