This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Nov 23, 2012 9:15 PM by Chris_0703 RSS

should I get training on microsoft

870213 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi

I would like to confirm to you people that my friend said in future ORACLE may be obsolete and Microsoft will take place .
Like:- if we are using oracle for developing application, Microsoft .Net / Asp will replace it.
He said you should take command on Microsoft product because in future you cannot find oracle jobs.

Is this true?
  • 1. Re: should I get training on microsoft
    Helios-GunesEROL Oracle ACE
    Hi;

You really belive it? ;)

Regard
    Helios
  • 2. Re: should I get training on microsoft
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    867210 wrote:
    Hi

I would like to confirm to you people that my friend said in future ORACLE may be obsolete and Microsoft will take place .
    Like:- if we are using oracle for developing application, Microsoft .Net / Asp will replace it.
    He said you should take command on Microsoft product because in future you cannot find oracle jobs.

Is this true?
    Well, your friend is mistaken, its not MS but Apple who would do it all. There would be a new software called iManage and it would be just managing everything, right from opening your garage to your bank account, making coffee for you etc etc.

Jokes apart, does your friend really understands what does ASP or .Net does and what is the meaning of Oracle database, Java and cross-platform ?

Aman....
  • 3. Re: should I get training on microsoft
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    You just make my day

Really Like Helios said do you believe it ?
  • 4. Re: should I get training on microsoft
    Fran Guru

Is this true?
    No, it is not true.
    I can't tell you if you must or not training on microsoft, you must choose by yourself.
    Oracle is in position 27 of the top 100 of world biggest companies and growing, so don't think it is obsolete.
  • 5. Re: should I get training on microsoft
    870213 Newbie
    Dear Aman

kindly give me suggestion what I do?

I want to make some interesting web based software like could computing. I want to make mobile application.
    it is not demand of my company just for my personal exp. now technology is changing day by day but still i am working for desktop application.

Thanks
  • 6. Re: should I get training on microsoft
    Fran Guru
    If you want create mobile applications you must choose JAVA developer.
    please read this:
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9217885/Your_next_job_Mobile_app_developer_

Edited by: Fran on 20-nov-2012 0:08
  • 7. Re: should I get training on microsoft
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    Oracle Corporation is One of the biggest world company have related products Databases , Hardware , OS and Java lot of other products each one of them has its own market , each company has its own market Same for Oracle .
  • 8. Re: should I get training on microsoft
    Helios-GunesEROL Oracle ACE
    Hi;

Wiht technology changes job description and role duty also are chancing. Now a days mobile application development is very popular such as .net 10 years ago. With new tech new jobs also coming such as cloud computing administration and also wiht new tech some tools became more popular like hadoop or nosql etc.

So you need to decide on which platform will make you happy, If you close yourself to mobile apps than you can go wiht it, I belive that tech will be more receive a share from total paste.

If you search as future job in it, there is no specific desc. for jobs but many of them mention, IT will be the most important part of job life

Regard
    Helios
  • 9. Re: should I get training on microsoft
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    Cloud computing is not an application but a concept. If you want to create an application which is more web-based you may want to look at Application Express (APEX) .

Aman....
  • 10. Re: should I get training on microsoft
    Girish Sharma Guru
    my friend said in future ORACLE may be obsolete and Microsoft will take place .
    I am listening this last 7 years continuously but opposite possibilities have grown more.
    Ask him :
    "Can you please share some links?"
    "How is your qualification and experience in IT?"
    "Ok, what if suppose in future there is no job for even Microsoft? Are you insuring my life, if I opt MS techs?"

In MS and in Oracle, Fools and idiots are always kick back to their homes. This (IT World) is not a picnic place, where a person can sing an idiot song...!!!

Regards
    Girish Sharma
  • 11. Re: should I get training on microsoft
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    867210 wrote:

Tell your friend I said he is making idiotic statements.

Let's look at Microsoft technology...

Back in the 90's with the Chicago (Win4/Win95) project. Microsoft introduced the WinG APi (Window Games) - a new graphics API for gave developers to use. It died a very early death after great hype.

Roughly the same time period. Microsoft developed Dayt0na (NT 3.5), and promised to provide native and full support for OpenGL - in order for the NT o/s to be used as high-end graphic workstations. Then they suddenly turned around, discontinued OpenGL support.

Fast forward. Microsoft ESP is sold as a high-end visualisation/rendering system. Customers (including some major aircraft manufacturers) buy into the technology for doing the visuals of their commercial flight simulat0rs. Microsoft roadmap includes a v2 and a long term commitment to the product. A few years after the initial ESP release, the product is canned.

More recently. Silverlight - the "flash-on-ster0ids" from Microsoft. New technology for web clients that renders (pun intended) Adode's Flash a thing of the past. Then HTML5 becomes a standard and Microsoft drops the technology like a hot patato - again at great cost to developers and customers that invested in that technology.

These are but a few examples.

Also, let us look at where Microsoft dominates.

Server operating system? Of the top 500 fastest computer systems on this planet (Nov 2012 listing), 3 are running Windows. 469 of the 500 are running Linux.

Desktop operating system? In the new age of mobile computing with smartphones and tablets, the traditional PC is facing a dead-end. Sales are declining. The mobile o/s of choice is Android and iOS.

So exactly where is Microsoft showing that it dominating and will be around in future? Take a look at what became of the powerful IBM PC.. before the clones started. Or look at what become of Novell, the de facto network provider of the 80's and 90's.

Oracle has shown a lot more stability and growth in the markets it dominates and new markets it is expanding in to.
  • 12. Re: should I get training on microsoft
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    The Most amazing Answer , Thank you Billy But could you please provide me with Link About OS statistics
  • 13. Re: should I get training on microsoft
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    See http://www.top500.org - the Nov 2012 stats are now available.

PS. See http://www.top500.org/statistics/list/ and select O/S family stats.
  • 14. Re: should I get training on microsoft
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    Thank you Again :)
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points