This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Nov 23, 2012 9:15 PM by Chris_0703 Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: should I get training on microsoft
    870213 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    Thank you Sir for you detail reply.

You know why I ask this question because 1st my friend asked and 2nd when I see jobs in any website or news paper found 80% .Net/Php/ASP/Share point Jobs in UAE, KSA and Paksitan.
  • 16. Re: should I get training on microsoft
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    867210 wrote:

You know why I ask this question because 1st my friend asked and 2nd when I see jobs in any website or news paper found 80% .Net/Php/ASP/Share point Jobs in UAE, KSA and Paksitan.
    PHP and Python and other web scripting tools are not from Microsoft. These are usually part of the LAMP s/w stack.

Yes, there are typically lots of Windows based jobs available - such as .Net and ASP developers. Just like there are typically lots of Java developer type jobs available. Where geographic region and type of market often dictates preference and quantity. But these are not necessarily indications of what jobs will still be around in the long term.

20 years ago, programming language jobs were for Cobol, Fortran and C. Most programmers back then have moved on to new languages and new technologies - and even new job descriptions that did not exist back then.

The basic lesson one can learn from this is that there a long term career in one specific language (e.g. being a .Net developer for the next 20 years) is pretty much an exception. In 20 years time, there will be new buzzwords, new languages, new technologies.

So if you can get a .Net programming job and it is to your liking - take it. But take it with the eye on growing your abilities and gaining experience, that enables you to get into new languages and new technologies that will make you an experienced and very marketable job candidate in the future when .Net has made way for the latest new technology like .Cloud.

FWIW, I have programmed professionally in about a dozen languages through my career. Some of these languages most forum members will not even have heard of before. Languages come.. languages go.. What matters is what experience you gain as programmer using these languages.
  • 17. Re: should I get training on microsoft
    Chris_0703 Newbie
    I'd say the first question you should is what career track do you plan on pursuing? If you're planning on becoming a system administrator, a developer, or working with other Microsoft products such as SQL Server, then getting some certifications wouldn't hurt. However, don't take too much stock in them as there's nothing that substitutes for real experience.

But in terms of how Oracle and Microsoft are doing, I'd argue that Oracle provides a bit more stable base, not only corporate-wise, but also technology-wise. I only have limited experience with Oracle using some PL/SQL programming, but some of Oracle's tools, such as SQL Plus, have basically been around forever. From my limited observation, Oracle tends to approach new technology in a cumulative fashion. Microsoft has a tendency to make radical changes, such as the change from Webforms to the MVC model for ASP.NET.

Oracle also isn't going away anytime soon. I've run job searches and while it can vary for localized areas, I've seen more Oracle jobs than Microsoft jobs. Even some of Oracle's competitors, such as IBM, have jobs in dealing with Oracle Financials and such. The only drawback though is that Oracle jobs are generally more senior-level focused, but entry-level database jobs aren't that common anyway.
  • 18. Re: should I get training on microsoft
    jgarry Guru
    [url http://www.ktvu.com/news/business/intel-ceo-paul-otellini-retire-may/nS9jq/]Wintel is the past.

If you want excitement and like to always be trying new things, become a mobile developer. Different things will come and go, but if you have excellent programming basics you learn to adapt.

If you want a steady career for your life, learn the fundamentals of database work. Programming paradigms come and go, but the data is forever. For the foreseeable future, businesses and governments will need solid administration and programming skills, and there are also newfangled things like cloud and big data for the more adventurous types. The core Oracle database isn't likely to change too radically any time soon, but Oracle has spread far beyond that.

There will be plenty of Microsoft for the future too, but not at the exclusion of Oracle. MS tends to be smaller installations than Oracle, so Oracle loses stuff at the low end (irregardless of XE or SE, more SMB apps are written for MS), but more than makes up for it at the high end and with scalability. What actually happens is heterogeneity; a mix of of both. Managers think (incorrectly) that a db is a db, so being able to deal with both is a leg up.

Also consider, you get jobs based on particular skill sets, but you keep them and move up by anticipating future needs. Your friend has seriously messed up on the second part. This is the real problem with deciding training based on want ads. Most high-end jobs are not advertised, no matter what job auction sites try to claim.

I suddenly started get odd critical EM messages lately - turns out an otherwise capable MS person had been tasked with installing an Oracle database, so he installed three databases on a windows box, apparently not understanding that what we call a schema MS calls a database.
  • 19. Re: should I get training on microsoft
    Chris_0703 Newbie
    Good points jgarry. To add further, we must also consider what has been dubbed "the pendulum".

Back in the olden days, the primary mode for running applications and processing data was running it on a centralized computer. At the time, the clients had no capability to run or store programs effectively, so the need was to hook them into a mainframe and let that do the processing. With the rise of the microprocessor, the IBM PC, and MS-DOS, the pendulum swung to the thick client side, so the market response was a lot of apps built to run on Windows.

Then the internet thing happened and we no longer just use one computer, we use laptops, netbooks, tablets, TVs, phones, etc. Basically, anything that has a network connection now wants the ability to use all kinds of data, but managing everything across all devices simply isn't practical nor economical in a localized environment. Now, the pendulum has swung back in the other direction where once again, there's an increase in the uptake of using one source or cluster for storage and computing.

I hate the word "cloud" because it's just a marketing buzzword for managers (like Web 2.0), but it's important to recognize that a greater demand will be placed on being able to process data over a large scale. Knowing how your database works is going to be one piece that allows you to stick out from the crowd.
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points