This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2012 2:25 AM by BillyVerreynne Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Oracle Initialization or shutdown in progress error message
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Currently Being Moderated
    972576 wrote:
    The SDE service, Oracle database, and all services associated with all clients were working up until I started getting the ORA-00257 archiver error when trying to open the database from Oracle SQL Developer earlier this month.
    This error simply means that the archive log destination ran full. In simple terms, all transactions are recorded in the redo log files. When a redo log is full, a copy is made of these transactions and written to the archive log. This provides for backup and recovery - where you can restore a hot database backup of a few days ago and use these backed up transactions to replay and get the database back to a consistent state as it was when the database was lost.

Sysadmin need to schedule backups of the contents of the archive log destination - and then delete the backed up archived log files. This frees space for new archive logs containing new transactions.

Should the transaction activity be high, or the backup delayed, there will be insufficient space for archiving new transactions. In this case the database "pauses" processing - it halts transaction processing. Typically the backup needs to be kicked off to backup and clear the contents of the archive log destination. If this happens by itself as scheduled, then no other admin interaction is needed (except perhaps for reviewing the transaction volumes and backup frequency as the the one seems to exceed the other).

The database "unpauses" as soon as it is able again to proceed with archiving full/used redo logs.
    Once I was back in we started getting the ORA-01033 “Oracle initialization or shutdown in progress” and I haven’t seen the archiver error since.
    Have you confirmed that the database is actually up?
    What kind of changes would need to be made to the database to create these problems?
    None so far IMO. I have not seen anything posted that points to this being a database problem. Assuming the database is up and running, the ORA-1033 error that the client is running into, points to the client's connection being unsuccessful in joining a working and available database. Which would seem that the client is doing something funky and wrong.

If the client is run on the same platform as the server, and the client does not use the client driver in that server's ORACLE_HOME, the client needs to make a TCP connection. And this can be forced even for client connections only using a username and password, by setting TWO_TASK to a TNS alias that provides the connection string for connecting to the local Listener and local database.
  • 16. Re: Oracle Initialization or shutdown in progress error message
    598390 Newbie
    We will work on this this evening, and let you know what we find.
    >
    Sysadmin need to schedule backups of the contents of the archive log destination - and then delete the backed up archived log files. This frees space for new archive logs containing new transactions.

Should the transaction activity be high, or the backup delayed, there will be insufficient space for archiving new transactions. In this case the database "pauses" processing - it halts transaction processing. Typically the backup needs to be kicked off to backup and clear the contents of the archive log destination. If this happens by itself as scheduled, then no other admin interaction is needed (except perhaps for reviewing the transaction volumes and backup frequency as the the one seems to exceed the other).
    >

I suspect that this has not been done for a while. As I understand it, the customer lost their sysadmin a while back and I don't know if they have replaced him.

Sounds like the only thing needed is to run a full DB backup then delete the archive log files. (Is this the redo log?) Can you refer us to a location that spells out how to do this, written for the layperson, or the SQL Server DBA, in words of 2 syllables or less? ;-)

Edited by: joeller on Nov 29, 2012 8:10 AM

Edited by: joeller on Nov 29, 2012 8:16 AM
  • 17. Re: Oracle Initialization or shutdown in progress error message
    598390 Newbie
    John successfully deleted the Archive log and ran a backup. The database successfully started. All connections through the clients were successful.

He chose not to change the PATH EV at this time since everything was working. However, I will keep suggesting a clean-up after verfiying which clients are actually in use.

I am also looking into Oracle Instant Client vis-a-vis the ESRI ArcSDE. In hopes of avoiding any repeat of this. I will also suggest that they set the RMan to periodically clear the Archive Log.

Thanks Billy. You're a lifesaver.

BTW I have another thread going on about the failure of the OEM database control. It is located at weird window on starting OEM
    No one seems to want anything to do with it. (Possibly because they frown upon the use of the GUI?) Do you think you could take a look at it?

Edited by: joeller on Nov 29, 2012 6:31 PM
  • 18. Re: Oracle Initialization or shutdown in progress error message
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    joeller wrote:
    John successfully deleted the Archive log and ran a backup. The database successfully started. All connections through the clients were successful.
    Good to hear the problem has been identified and addressed.
    >
    BTW I have another thread going on about the failure of the OEM database control. It is located at weird window on starting OEM
    No one seems to want anything to do with it. (Possibly because they frown upon the use of the GUI?) Do you think you could take a look at it?
    I'm also a CLI kind-of-guy. Most of my db servers are one or two ssh hops away, so using a OEM not a feasible option. I have used OEM just a handful of times through the years and am very much a newbie when it comes resolving OEM problems and issues. Sorry.
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points