This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2012 2:25 AM by BillyVerreynne RSS

Oracle Initialization or shutdown in progress error message

598390 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am working on a server with Oracle 64 bit database 11G on Windows 2008 server. There are also an Oracle 32 bit client installed and an Oracle 64 bit client installed. It is simple and straight forward to log intosqlplus on the database. But each attempt to log into SQL Plus on the client result in the above error message. Since there is another application which depends on the Oracle client running that is failing to start as well this leads me to wonder if the client is actuially running. But when I checked the services there was no listing of the Oracle Client anywhere. Now it has been a number of years since I've last "had fun" with Oracle, but I thought I remembered that the client services were supposed to show up in the services menu.

I would appreciate any advice in this matter.

Uodate: I have viewed several help entries all of them using Shutdown abort. However it seems as though these posts are instructing the user to shut down the database instance not the server.

Edited by: joeller on Nov 21, 2012 8:28 AM
  • 1. Re: Oracle Initialization or shutdown in progress error message
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    A 32bit client cannot make a local IPC (bequeath) connection to a 64bit database instance.

The client requires to create a thread (aka dedicated server) in the oracle.exe process to service it. This cannot happen across 32bit and 64bit boundaries as far as I know.

A 32bit client can however make a network connection to a 64bit client - as the communication layer is IPv4 (or IPV6) and common. And not a IPC mechanism in a kernel that is either 64bit or 32bit and incapable of being both at the same time.
  • 2. Re: Oracle Initialization or shutdown in progress error message
    598390 Newbie
    Thank you for replying. I am not clear about your explanation. The Oracle client has been used to connect to our database for years. This was done via an entry in the TNSNames.ora file. The entry used TCP/IP protocol. So I am not clear about the applicability of the issues with IPC protocol to our problem. Could you explain it further?

Fisrt let me explain our set up and the rationale therefore.

Oracle is the backend database for our GIS application ArcGIS. ArcGIS uses a tool call ArcSDE to connect to the database. Since at the time this server was setup ArcSDE did not come in a 64 version, it needed to be connect to the database through a 32 bit client installed on the same server as 64 bit database. SDE communicated with the database through reference in the TNSNames.ora file connecting to the database. We also able to connect to the database via the client's SQLPLUS as well. This has been in place for years and working fine. Then recently the Network admins did something to the server I am not clear what. (While this is a DOT server, recently a number of the Navy servers I work with all had to have some patch applied, so it may have been that.) Now the ArcSDE service wiill not start. This is a symptom that means it cannot connect to the database.

As stated above we were able to connect to the database run queriies successfully using its SQLPlus. However when we attempted to connect to the database via the client's SQLPLUS we got the errors specified above. This seems to me to indicate that the clien service is not running. And as stated above I did not see any client service running in the services window.

Wednesday we tried some of the suggestions I found on the forums for the initialization error we were getting. As they were all seemingly aime at database that hung on starting I was not optimistic but we were desparate). They all advised starting SQLPlus with nolog, then connect /as sysdba. then shutdown and startup. However, on each occasion connect / as sysdba reported a TNS error. We tried connecting as sys/password. But that just kept producing ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error. We tried to do a shutdown and startup without logging and we kept getting ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error. (Anyway as stated above, this seems to be attempting to restart the database. Therefore I saw no logic in running shutdown and startup. I did not see any reason why this would result in bouncing the client service. But we are desparate.) We've also tried rebooting the server to no avail

I have no idea what else to try.

Edited by: joeller on Nov 23, 2012 7:19 AM
  • 3. Re: Oracle Initialization or shutdown in progress error message
    598390 Newbie
    OK problem solved. On Sunday, it appeared we were able to connect to the database using sqlplus and that it was only the clients that were returning initialization error. But today in desparation we happened to try connecting to the database using sqlplus from the db_1\bin and also got the initialization error. We were then able to use the standard shutdown and start up methods. Now everything is working fine. Thanks to every one who read this with the goal of trying to help.
  • 4. Re: Oracle Initialization or shutdown in progress error message
    598390 Newbie
    we found the issue and resolved it ourselves.

Update: Now another issue has cropped up

We long on with sys to the database and we are able to connect to the database.

However when we attempt to log on as another user then the we get the database initialization error again. see text below:

D:\Ora11g\administrator\product\11.1.0\db_1\BIN>sqlplus sde/yyyyyy

SQL*Plus: Release 11.1.0.6.0 - Production on Fri Nov 23 11:29:29 2012

Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle. All rights reserved.

ERROR:
    ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress
    Process ID: 0
    Session ID: 0 Serial number: 0

Enter user-name:
    ERROR:
    ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

Enter user-name:
    ERROR:

SP2-0157: unable to CONNECT to ORACLE after 3 attempts, exiting SQL*Plus

D:\Ora11g\administrator\product\11.1.0\db_1\BIN>sqlplus sys/xxxxx as sysdba

SQL*Plus: Release 11.1.0.6.0 - Production on Fri Nov 23 11:30:10 2012

Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connected to:
    Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.1.0.6.0 - 64bit Production
    With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options

SQL>

Edited by: joeller on Nov 23, 2012 10:33 AM

Just for grin and giggles I tried connecting from sqldeveloper as several different users. The only one that does not return an initialization error is sys. It connects just fine.

Edited by: joeller on Nov 23, 2012 11:02 AM
  • 5. Re: Oracle Initialization or shutdown in progress error message
    598390 Newbie
    Another problem has cropped with the same error message.
  • 6. Re: Oracle Initialization or shutdown in progress error message
    joeller wrote:
    Thank you for replying. I am not clear about your explanation. The Oracle client has been used to connect to our database for years. This was done via an entry in the TNSNames.ora file. The entry used TCP/IP protocol. So I am not clear about the applicability of the issues with IPC protocol to our problem. Could you explain it further?
    There are two types of client-server connection mediums in Oracle. TCP. IPC (also called the "bequeath" protocol).

When you use a TNS alias, a connection string is used. This specifies the protocol (typically TCP) and the host and port and other details. The local OCI client driver uses its TCP protocol adapter and makes an TCP connection to the Listener on the specified host.

TCP connections do not care about 32bit, 64bit, big or small endian, operating systems, etc.

The 2nd type is IPC. In this case the client and server are both local to the same platform. The local OCI client driver uses 2 environmental variables to make the connection. The ORACLE_HOME tells it where to find the oracle server executable. This allows the client to start a local Oracle server process to service it (or a thread in Windows). The 2nd variable is ORACLE_SID - this tells this server process the SGA to attach to (Oracle db instance to join). The client and its dedicated server process communicates via IPC - Inter Process Communication. No Listener needed. No TCP communication layer.

An IPC connection however cannot be done with the client as 32bit and the server as 64bit. Kernel programming interfaces are used and these do not allow kernel and IPC calls between 64bit processes and 32bit processes.

So I suspect that your config is mixing this up, and instead of using your 64bit client to make a local IPC connection, the 32bit client is used.

You need to confirm
    a) client versions installed (consider using Oracle's Instant Client)
    b) which client driver is being used (32bit or 64bit)
    c) the type of connection being made by the client
  • 7. Re: Oracle Initialization or shutdown in progress error message
    598390 Newbie
    But how is this an issue when I am not doing anything with the client, and every connection to the server from the client is via TNS using the TPC/IP protocol? And also, as stated above, when the attempt is made for the user "sys" there is no problem.

As stated above, we get the initialization error when attempting to log into the SQLPLUS on the database instance itself, not just the clients. Seems to me that the first thing that needs to be address is why no user except sys can log into SQLPlus without an initialization error. Seems to me if it was really an initialization error, that error would be presented on any attempt to login. So if it is not an initilization error, then what else would cause the database to return this error?

Edited by: joeller on Nov 26, 2012 11:41 AM
  • 8. Re: Oracle Initialization or shutdown in progress error message
    joeller wrote:
    But how is this an issue when I am not doing anything with the client, and every connection to the server from the client is via TNS using the TPC/IP protocol?
    Ypou posted that this:
    D:\Ora11g\administrator\product\11.1.0\db_1\BIN>sqlplus sde/yyyyyy
    causes the following:
    ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress

This connection from SQL*Plus is a local client-server IPC connection. Only when environmental variable TWO_TASK is set to a TNS alias, will this result in a TCP connection.
    And also, as stated above, when the attempt is made for the user "sys" there is no problem.
    Correct. As the SGA and database instance does not need to exist for a SYSDBA connection - as this type of connection can be used on a clean system to create a database instance.

Simple example - ran in the oracle (XE) account of my Kubuntu desktop:
    // identify the database instance to connect to
    /usr/lib/oracle/xe> export ORACLE_SID=orcl

// initiating a successful "connection" - but the database does not
    // exist/is not running, as indicated by "idle instance"
    /usr/lib/oracle/xe> sqlplus "/ as sysdba"

SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Tue Nov 27 11:56:46 2012

Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connected to an idle instance.

SQL> exit
    Disconnected

// doing the exact same thing as a non-SYSDBA connection - this time around
    // the client driver expects to find a database instance called "orcl"
    /usr/lib/oracle/xe> sqlplus scott/tiger

SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Tue Nov 27 11:56:58 2012

Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

ERROR:
    ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
    ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
    Linux Error: 2: No such file or directory

Enter user-name: 
    ERROR:

Enter user-name: 
    ERROR:

SP2-0157: unable to CONNECT to ORACLE after 3 attempts, exiting SQL*Plus
    /usr/lib/oracle/xe> 
    Seems to me that the first thing that needs to be address is why no user except sys can log into SQLPlus without an initialization error. Seems to me if it was really an initialization error, that error would be presented on any attempt to login. So if it is not an initilization error, then what else would cause the database to return this error?
    As I've described above - a SYSDBA connection does not need an existing database instance to connect to. And the error that you are getting is from the client driver being unable to attach to/join the database instance - either because the instance does not exist, or because the server process/thread created by driver failed when attempting to join the running instance.

The latter is usually because the instance is busy starting up/shutting down. When this is not the case, it is because of factors like the client driver running in an invalid environment - such as a 32bit environment and the database in a 64bit environment.

What is the ORACLE_HOME for your database instance? Is the oracle.exe in its +../bin/+ directory a 32bit or 64bit executable?

What is the environment settings for your sqlplus client session? Specifically, what is PATH, ORACLE_HOME, TWO_TASK and TNS_ADMIN set to? (the latter two variables are usually not set/used)
  • 9. Re: Oracle Initialization or shutdown in progress error message
    598390 Newbie
    John will be getting back to you with the environmental variables as set on the Server, and to verify the properties of the Oracle.exe, as I do not have the hours to charge against this task and I can't see the server myself except via a gotomeeting connection of a remote connection from his machine.

I can tell you from memory that the Path EV contains the paths to both oracle clients and the database. He will have to tell you the Oracle_HOME for sure. At one time it was the directory that we were using in quoted text to attempt to connect is listed as the Oracle_HOME, i.e. "D:\Ora11g\administrator\product\11.1.0\db_1\BIN". However I recall there were issues with this last summer with getting the 32 bit client to see the database and the support personnel were talking about changing it to the 32 bit client. I don't remember what was finally decided.

I would assume that the Oracle.exe in this directory is 64 bit since as noted above when sys connects it shows:

>
    Connected to:
    Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.1.0.6.0 - 64bit Production
    With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options
    >

Edited by: joeller on Nov 27, 2012 12:16 PM
  • 10. Re: Oracle Initialization or shutdown in progress error message
    975579 Newbie
    Environmental Variables :

Path
    D:\OraClient20120725;D:\OraClient20120725\bin;D:\Ora11g\administrator\product\11.1.0\db_1\bin;D:\Ora11g_client2\administrator\product\11.1.0\client_1;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;D:\Program Files\ArcGIS\ArcSDE\ora11gexe\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\SysMgt\RAC5;C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\SysMgt\oma\bin

Oracle_Home
    D:\Ora11g\administrator\product\11.1.0\db_1

TWO_TASK
    Does not show up in the list of variables.

TNS_ADMIN
    D:\OraClient20120725\Network\Admin

Here’s some background to what joeller referenced in his previous post about having issues back last summer. In July I upgraded the ESRI ArcGIS software to the latest service pack. The last step in that process was to upgrade the database and in order to do so I had to set a direct connection by setting the Path and OracleHome to the 32x client. Once I upgraded the database and reset the variables back to the database the SDE service started back up.
  • 11. Re: Oracle Initialization or shutdown in progress error message
    Okay, disclaimer first. Have not been a 'Windows guy' for many years now (but was a Microsoft beta tester and Win32 developer once upon a time). ;-)

The PATH seems to be problematic as it refers 3 different Oracle locations. Oracle's client driver (OCI DLL) needs to be loaded by the kernel, when an executable references that library (either statically or dynamically).

If the library module does not yet exist in memory, the DLL needs to be loaded from disk. Scope resolution in this case means the kernel looking in the directory of that executable, and if the DLL is not found there, working through the directories in the PATH in order to find the DLL.

This would mean that you can load executable from one Oracle Home, but due to the environment, the executable will use a DLL from another Oracle Home. This can obviously cause issues.

With 32bit and 64bit, this should not be an issue - as the DLLs are usually named in such a way that there are no name collissions. E.g. 32bit s/w will reference something like oci32.dll and 64bit s/w something like oci64.dll.

But within the 32bit (or 64bit) environment, only a single version of a DLL with that name can be loaded into kernel memory - and all processes referencing that DLL will use the exact same loaded copy in memory.

So I suggest that you simplify the environment and problem for starters. Set PATH to include a single Oracle Home. Run SQL*Plus from there. Ensure that the OCI DLL is loaded from there. Get this to work as expected. Keeping in mind that only TCP connections can be made - as an IPC connection requires (at least on Unix/Linux) that the Oracle Home be set to the same home used by the database instance being connected to.

Then increase the environment's complexity (e.g. add another Oracle Home, such as a 64bit one to an existing 32bit one) and repeat your tests.

Windows has the eggs-in-a-single-basket configuration repository called the registry. I have no idea how Oracle s/w on Windows uses the registry. Last time I ran Oracle on Windows was with Oracle 7.1 and that was simply to see how it looks like. :-)

So there could be registry nuances to setting up the Oracle environment for Oracle clients.

FWIW, I suggest that only a single Oracle Home be used, unless there is a need for a 32bit Oracle Home and a 64bit Oracle Home.

A client only does not need a full Oracle Client installation (with its Oracle Home and extras). All that is needed is Oracle Instant Client, unzip and setting PATH. No installs. No additional complexities.
  • 12. Re: Oracle Initialization or shutdown in progress error message
    598390 Newbie
    >
    I suggest that only a single Oracle Home be used, unless there is a need for a 32bit Oracle Home and a 64bit Oracle Home.
    >

Presumably you mean the ORACLE_HOME EV. There is only the one.

>
    With 32bit and 64bit, this should not be an issue - as the DLLs are usually named in such a way that there are no name collissions. E.g. 32bit s/w will reference something like oci32.dll and 64bit s/w something like oci64.dll.
    >

Since both of the clients are 32 bit but the DB is 64 bit, then we should delete one or the other client from the PATH EV?

>
    A client only does not need a full Oracle Client installation (with its Oracle Home and extras).
    >

However, according to all the documentation I've seen to date on it, that ESRI software, "ArcSDE", that connects to the DB through the 32 bit client does appear to need the full client installation. (John please verify as per your recent conversation with the ESRI support tech.)

But does a full client installation need to be "started" somehow? There is no service in the services window that indicates it is for an Oracle client. Should there be?

Edited by: joeller on Nov 28, 2012 11:34 AM
  • 13. Re: Oracle Initialization or shutdown in progress error message
    975579 Newbie
    The SDE service, Oracle database, and all services associated with all clients were working up until I started getting the ORA-00257 archiver error when trying to open the database from Oracle SQL Developer earlier this month. I couldn’t fix this error when I first saw it because I was locked out of the server that the database lives on. Once I was back in we started getting the ORA-01033 “Oracle initialization or shutdown in progress” and I haven’t seen the archiver error since. As far as I can tell nothing in any environmental variables has changed and the SDE client is fully installed and the SDE path is going to the correct client. Why would these problems be happening now? What kind of changes would need to be made to the database to create these problems?
  • 14. Re: Oracle Initialization or shutdown in progress error message
    joeller wrote:

Since both of the clients are 32 bit but the DB is 64 bit, then we should delete one or the other client from the PATH EV?
    Yes. That will simplify the problem.
    However, according to all the documentation I've seen to date on it, that ESRI software, "ArcSDE", that connects to the DB through the 32 bit client does appear to need the full client installation. (John please verify as per your recent conversation with the ESRI support tech.)
    A full client includes utilities (like SQL*Loader, export/import) and so on. Very few shrinkwrap clients I have dealt with, need to use these external client utilities.

The typical requirement is for the Oracle Call Interface (OCI) driver, running over TCP (i.e. having the TCP protocol adapter).

This is what ships with Oracle InstantClient. Small download in comparison. Royalty free distribution (meaning that ISVs can ship this with their clients). Does not require an installation - only setting of environmental variables for the client to use the OCI driver stack.
    But does a full client installation need to be "started" somehow? There is no service in the services window that indicates it is for an Oracle client. Should there be?
    No, not at all. For an ISV client to work, it needs the OCI driver (assuming it is not a JDBC client) from the Oracle client installation. Be that a full client install or an instant client unzip. This is done by setting PATH on Windows or setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH on Linux/Unix - in order for the kernel to find and load the required OCI driver for the client.

If you want to use that client to connect to a local server, then you should consider setting the TWO_TASK environment variable, to a TNS alias that specifies a local TCP connection to the database.

If you want that client to directly connect to the database via IPC, then the client needs to use the client drivers from that database's ORACLE_HOME directory.
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points