This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2012 9:12 PM by BillyVerreynne Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: oracle listener confusion
    sb92075 Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    since you choose to not follow my directions, I choose to not contribute more to this thread
    [oracle@localhost ~]$ lsnrctl status

LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production on 21-NOV-2012 12:21:22

Copyright (c) 1991, 2010, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=0.0.0.0)(PORT=1521)))
    STATUS of the LISTENER
    ------------------------
    Alias                     LISTENER
    Version                   TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production
    Start Date                21-NOV-2012 07:55:26
    Uptime                    0 days 4 hr. 25 min. 56 sec
    Trace Level               off
    Security                  ON: Local OS Authentication
    SNMP                      OFF
    Listener Parameter File   /home/oracle/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_2/network/admin/listener.ora
    Listener Log File         /home/oracle/app/oracle/diag/tnslsnr/localhost/listener/alert/log.xml
    Listening Endpoints Summary...
      (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=0.0.0.0)(PORT=1521)))
      (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=0.0.0.0)(PORT=80))(PROTOCOL_STACK=(PRESENTATION=HTTP)(SESSION=RAW)))
      (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=0.0.0.0)(PORT=21))(PROTOCOL_STACK=(PRESENTATION=FTP)(SESSION=RAW)))
    Services Summary...
    Service "orcl" has 1 instance(s).
      Instance "orcl", status READY, has 2 handler(s) for this service...
    Service "orclXDB" has 1 instance(s).
      Instance "orcl", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
    The command completed successfully
    [oracle@localhost ~]$ 
  • 16. Re: oracle listener confusion
    user521233 Newbie
    sorry i inadvertently did not post the first few lines of the output (too much excitement that it seems to be all looking good to me):
    C:\Users\Default>lsnrctl status

LSNRCTL for 64-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 21-NOV-2012 12:04:47

Connecting to (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=)(PORT=1521))
    STATUS of the LISTENER
    ------------------------
    Version                   TNSLSNR for 64-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
    Start Date                21-NOV-2012 12:04:16
    Uptime                    0 days 0 hr. 0 min. 31 sec
    Listener Log File         c:\oracle11g\diag\tnslsnr\nexus6\listener\alert\log.xml
      (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=nexus6)(PORT=1521)))
    The listener supports no services

C:\Users\Default>
  • 17. Re: oracle listener confusion
    orafad Oracle ACE
    user521233 wrote:
    Uptime 0 days 0 hr. 0 min. 31 sec
    Since listener uptime was less than one minute, with possibly not enough time for instance registration to take place, please post another round of lsnrctl stat output.
  • 18. Re: oracle listener confusion
    user521233 Newbie
    right, that makes a lot of sense... thanks orafad.
    C:\Users\Default>lsnrctl status

LSNRCTL for 64-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 21-NOV-2012 13:37:18

Connecting to (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=)(PORT=1521))
    STATUS of the LISTENER
    ------------------------
    Version                   TNSLSNR for 64-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
    Start Date                21-NOV-2012 12:04:16
    Uptime                    0 days 1 hr. 33 min. 2 sec
    Listener Log File         c:\oracle11g\diag\tnslsnr\nexus6\listener\alert\log.xml
      (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=nexus6)(PORT=1521)))
      (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=nexus6)(PORT=8080))(Presentation=HTTP)(Session=RAW))
      (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=127.0.0.1)(PORT=1521)))
    Services Summary...
    Service "orcl11g" has 1 instance(s).
      Instance "orcl11g", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
    Service "orcl11gXDB" has 1 instance(s).
      Instance "orcl11g", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...

C:\Users\Default>
    Edited by: user521233 on Nov 21, 2012 1:41 PM
  • 19. Re: oracle listener confusion
    user521233 Newbie
    looks good to me... please let me know if i'm wrong.

additionally, although not part of my question... i have a connection from the client on the vm to this database which was my original task.

thanks to everyone who helped out!
  • 20. Re: oracle listener confusion
    975778 Newbie
    Multiple listeners allow each to be recycled without losing connectivity. Many of our databases limit access to invited nodes only. Making a change to the list of invited nodes requires that the listeners be restarted. Without failover, this would mean a short period where new connections would not be made.
  • 21. Re: oracle listener confusion
    orafad Oracle ACE
    user5789063 wrote:
    Multiple listeners allow each to be recycled without losing connectivity.
    Bouncing the listener does not drop connections. Potentially incoming (new) connections will not be established for a very short while.
    (Noted that you indicate this later in the post, but to clarify for other readers.)
    Making a change to the list of invited nodes requires that the listeners be restarted.
    In recent releases, does perhaps the reload command allow changes to invited_nodes to be picked up? Not sure though considering if it's sqlnet.ora parameters, not listener.ora.
  • 22. Re: oracle listener confusion
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Nick Butcher wrote:
    Multiple listeners allow each to be recycled without losing connectivity. Many of our databases limit access to invited nodes only. Making a change to the list of invited nodes requires that the listeners be restarted. Without failover, this would mean a short period where new connections would not be made.
    It is a fallacy that multiple listeners provide high availability and redundancy. The Oracle Listener is exactly that - a process that listens for incoming connections on a port. Similar in every way in that respect to Apache. How does Apache's high availability work? Multiple httpd daemons on different ports on the same server? Come on!

Multiple processes cannot open the same tcp port to listen on. Clients explicitly state with their socket connect instruction, which server port to connect to.

If you down/bounce the process that listens on that port, the client's connection to that port will fail. Irrespective of how many other listener process you have, as these will be bound and listening to different ports.

As a listener restart takes at most a few seconds (assuming properly configured), bouncing a listener will mean the port is unavailable for a few seconds at most - and the chance that this actually impact a client, given how seldom this is done and the very short period of time needed, is very small.

As for using invited nodes settings. My opinion on this is well known around here. It is a stupid configuration setting to use. If security and access control need to be managed at IP level, then it sure as hell does not make sense to do this partially and poorly in the listener that functions at the top of IP stack. An IP firewall does that. Manages and secures IP access. And does that exceedingly well.
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points