This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2012 6:15 PM by Victor Armbrust RSS

Migrating from Oracle 10g database to 11g RAC on Exadata

735680 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,

I am new to migration activity. My environment is Sun Solaris OS running Oracle 10g R2 and the database size is 900GB. Now i am planning to migrate 10g R2 to Exadata X2-2 which is having OS-OEL and database 11g R2. Please suggest me the way to migrate and what all the challenges will i face.

Regards,
Bobs
  • 1. Re: Migrating from Oracle 10g database to 11g RAC on Exadata
    JohnWatson Guru
    Big project! You will (almost certainly) be using Oracle ACS for the initial implementation, it is hard to buy Exadata without buying consulting too. Given that the hardware and RAC licenses are very expensive, you will have gone through a POC exercise already (again, probably with ACS support.) Did that not include migration techniques?
    Or are you trying to do it all yourself? This is possible, and can save a lot of money.
    Either way, you will find that the hard work comes later. The POC does nothing more than, well, prove the concept. Actually getting the real benefits Exadata can deliver will take months of post-implementation tuning.
    So what stage are you at?
  • 2. Re: Migrating from Oracle 10g database to 11g RAC on Exadata
    735680 Newbie
    Hi john,

We already implemented Exadata. Now i need to export the data from Oracle 10g database which is running on Solaris to Exadata 11g with OEL any idea on this.

Regards,
    Bobs
  • 3. Re: Migrating from Oracle 10g database to 11g RAC on Exadata
    JohnWatson Guru
    Are you still doing the POC? If so, you might want to consider running the compute nodes on Solaris 11.

Well, a little 900G database is very small, even for a quarter rack DB machine. The logical migration techniques are Data Pump, Streams, or logical standby.
    Physical techniques are limited because you need to upgrade and change platform at the same time. Is your Solaris source SPARC or Intel? If Intel, you could upgrade to 11.2 on the source, and then use the transportable database facility.
    Probably Data Pump with DBFS to stage the dump files is the simplest approach.

But really, for a project like this you might want to consider consulting support. Oracle (or my boss!) would be very pleased to quote.
  • 4. Re: Migrating from Oracle 10g database to 11g RAC on Exadata
    735680 Newbie
    Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

Can i export data 10g from Solaris and import to Exadata?

Regards,
    Bobby
  • 5. Re: Migrating from Oracle 10g database to 11g RAC on Exadata
    JohnWatson Guru
    user12119634(bobs) wrote:
    Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

Can i export data 10g from Solaris and import to Exadata?

Regards,
    Bobby
    Yes, you can. But as I've been trying to suggest, there is more to it than this. Moving to Exadata is not the same as moving to any other platform. You have paid a huge amount for your Database Machine, and you need to make the investment worthwhile.
  • 6. Re: Migrating from Oracle 10g database to 11g RAC on Exadata
    user9043667 Newbie
    Thanks John,

I will go with datapump.

Regards,
    Bobs
  • 7. Re: Migrating from Oracle 10g database to 11g RAC on Exadata
    Victor Armbrust Oracle ACE
    Hello all

I Just done the same migration on last few months.
    I currently work on ACS and I can tell you really need the ACS support (in the first scenario) to do the implementation.

I have migrated from HPUX ia64 (Oracle DB 10gR2) to Exadata X2-2 Half Rack,(oracle 11gR2). In that case I used TTS to do the migration, once the ENDIAN is not the same and I had to use RMAN CONVERT DATAFILE feature.

I have migrated also a 10gR2 database from RHEL 4 64 bit to the same Exadata Database Machine, and in that particular case I just used a simple RMAN BACKUP /RESTORE DATABASE since the ENDIAN is the same and its not necessary to do the RMAN CONVERSION.
    Solaris and LINUX have the same ENDIAN, so you can use RMAN to migrate it.. In my case, the database was about 2TB size, and it was a simple migration, with no worries.

My comments and suggestions:

- Pay attention to do a RMAN FULL BACKUP (NOT INCR LEVEL 0)
    - Make sure your database (Source 10gr2) is runing on 10.2.0.5 patchset level
    - Use a FULL BACKUP of your archivelog files

It is simple, and your should not have any problems on this procedure.

Regards
    Victor
  • 8. Re: Migrating from Oracle 10g database to 11g RAC on Exadata
    user9043667 Newbie
    Hi Victor,

Thanks for the information.

I need to know that instead of RMAN can we go with export and import.

Regards,
    Bobs
  • 9. Re: Migrating from Oracle 10g database to 11g RAC on Exadata
    Victor Armbrust Oracle ACE
    Bobs
    You can execute de migration with several ways, however the SIZE of your database can help you to determine the best way to do that.

If you plan to do the migration using Datapump or Conventional EXP/IMP you should keep in mind it will take much more time (Since your DB have 900GB) and you should also concern about invalid objects, dblinks,etc after the migration.

Victor

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points