This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2012 6:16 AM by Sunny kichloo RSS

impdmp will do database copy?

varkashy Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have few basic questions.. I am no clear on few issues related to DBA and wanted some clarification
1) When we say import schema and export schema, what does that exactly mean? I was thinking importing a schema will create similar tables and all is that correct ?
2) I created dump files by running expdp command. and imported it using impdp command into another schema on same db. Does this copies only the schema or the data objects too?

Please give me some insight into this, is importing a dump file same as doing database copy?
  • 1. Re: impdmp will do database copy?
    Sunny kichloo Expert
    1) When we say import schema and export schema, what does that exactly mean? I was thinking importing a schema will create similar tables and all is that correct ?
    Export schema will load all the data,table and other objects in a dumpfile of a particular schema that you have mentioned.The dump files basically contain ddl commands which get executed by Import Utility.

Also Read this

Schema Mode Export :-- http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e22490/dp_export.htm#i1007509
    2) I created dump files by running expdp command. and imported it using impdp command into another schema on same db. Does this copies only the schema or the data objects too?
    What do you mean by data objects??

If you mean table data then yes.

For importing into different schema you have to use remap_schema

Refer this docs.Search with keyword remap_schema

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28319/dp_import.htm
  • 2. Re: impdmp will do database copy?
    varkashy Newbie
    thanks a lot for clarifying
  • 3. Re: impdmp will do database copy?
    Sunny kichloo Expert