1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2012 7:32 AM by Sunny kichloo RSS

Installing oracle 10 Cleint

Hi all,

I have installed and Oracle 10g (10.2.0.3) client on my laptop and setup its tnsnames.ora to connect to a 10.2.0.3 database on another server.

But I can not connect to the target database with the following error:
      ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1
      ORA-12705: Cannot access NLS data files or invalid environment specified
      if I tnsping it :

C:\SPL\CCB210_BGAISDEV>tnsping PROD1

TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 11.1.0.6.0 - Production on 21-NOV-2
      012 18:18:55

Copyright (c) 1997, 2007, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:
      C:\oracle\product\10.2.0.3\client_1\network\admin\sqlnet.ora

Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
      Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)
      (HOST = VM003.PH.COM)(PORT = 1521))) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVICE_NAME =
      PROD1)))
      TNS-12557: TNS:protocol adapter not loadable
      On the other hand, I installed an 11g client on another folder and I copied both the tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora
      and it works on the 11g client.

How do I resolve my 10g client connection?

Please help me.....

Thanks,
      Kinz
        • 1. Re: Installing oracle 10 Cleint
          Sunny kichloo
          Have you set PATH environment variable correctly

Refer this

http://www.oracledatabaseissues.com/2012/01/tns-12557-tnsprotocol-adapter-not.html

http://arjudba.blogspot.in/2009/01/ora-12557-tnsprotocol-adapter-not.html
          • 2. Re: Installing oracle 10 Cleint
            12cdb
            How do I resolve my 10g client connection?
            Try and see if this fixes the issue.

C:\SPL\CCB210_BGAISDEV>Set PATH=C:\oracle\product\10.2.0.3\client_1;%PATH%

C:\SPL\CCB210_BGAISDEV>tnsping PROD1
            • 3. Re: Installing oracle 10 Cleint
              Thanks....but I am confused...

The link recommnened to remove the other OracleHome in the registry but....
              I have two apps , one that needs 11g client and the other needs 10g client. Why can not I have both?

I tried also to set the system variable PATH to lead the Oracle10g home bin, but when I issue at command prompt set PATH ...I can see that the leading home is still 11g it seems my envi system set variable did not take
              effect?

[code
              C:\Documents and Settings\ccbalon>set PATH
              Path=C:\oracle\product\11.1.0\db_1\bin;C:\oracle\product\11.1.0\client_1\bin;C:\
              oracle\product\11.2.0.1\client_1\bin;C:\oracle\product\10.2.0.3\client_1\bin;C:\
              Perl510\site\bin;C:\Perl510\bin;C:\Perl588\site\bin;C:\Perl588\bin;C:\Program Fi
              les\RSA SecurID Token Common;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\
              Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\

Help
              • 4. Re: Installing oracle 10 Cleint
                Hi 11g, yes the set works but how do I permanently set it so that it will take effect when the apps gets the envi system variables? Thanks
                • 5. Re: Installing oracle 10 Cleint
                  12cdb
                  I have two apps , one that needs 11g client and the other needs 10g client. Why can not I have both?
                  You can keep both installations and also PATH can have both homes path included but when you want to use 10g home, make sure in the PATH value "C:\oracle\product\10.2.0.3\client_1\bin" comes first.
                  Path=C:\oracle\product\11.1.0\db_1\bin; C:\oracle\product\11.1.0\client_1\bin; C:\oracle\product\11.2.0.1\client_1\bin; C:\oracle\product\10.2.0.3\client_1\bin;
                  It seems you have 11.1.0, 11.2.0 & 10.2.0.3 versions installed.
                  • 6. Re: Installing oracle 10 Cleint
                    Osama_Mustafa
                    Check My Blog
                    http://osamamustafa.blogspot.com/2012/07/ora-12557-tnsprotocol-adapter-not.html
                    • 7. Re: Installing oracle 10 Cleint
                      Thanks 11g,

Yes I have lots of OracleHome :)

But I was able to set the %PATH to lead the 10g home/bin. And I can now tns ping and connect successfully to the database at command line.

But I can still see error when I ran the apps which is:
                      Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1
                      What file in oracle network (tnsnames, sqlnet) controls this nls lang?

Edited by: KinsaKaUy? on 21-Nov-2012 03:27
                      • 8. Re: Installing oracle 10 Cleint
                        Osama_Mustafa
                        is this solution not working with you
                        Try to add following lines to %SQL_DEV_HOME%\sqldeveloper\bin\sqldeveloper.conf
                        AddVMOption -Duser.language=en
                        AddVMOption -Duser.country=US
                        Check
                        this decision works Re: SqlDeveloper ORA-12705
                        • 9. Re: Installing oracle 10 Cleint
                          Hi Osama,

This has worked for the sqldev only....But I have other apps that has been affected, and I know it only points to network folder(tnsnames, sqlnet) is there something to fix this NLS error at oracle home side?
                          • 10. Re: Installing oracle 10 Cleint
                            Osama_Mustafa
                            even with rename NLS_LANG Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE not working with you .
                            • 11. Re: Installing oracle 10 Cleint
                              Im confused huhuuh :(

I checked my officemate's setup which is working and the her path is still on 11g. She did not set it to leading 10g home. maybe this has the right nls lang settings. and the 10g home is just set on the start.bat of the apps.

So among the many OracleHomes I have , which one has the needed NLS_LANG settings? or the correct one? I forgot the original path.

Edited by: KinsaKaUy? on 21-Nov-2012 03:59
                              • 12. Re: Installing oracle 10 Cleint
                                Osama_Mustafa
                                Under ORACLE folder if its not work try one by one .
                                • 13. Re: Installing oracle 10 Cleint
                                  Hi Osama,

I remember I edited the registry's nls lang for the issue of sqldev earlier.....Maybe this has affected my other apps. :(
                                  • 14. Re: Installing oracle 10 Cleint
                                    Osama_Mustafa
                                    backup Register before change .
                                    1 2 Previous Next