This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2012 4:40 AM by jmz931 RSS

simple jnlp question

jmz931 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
hello, I don't have much experience with jnlp... my question is about the jvm that launches the jnlp. I'm seeing a 'Java 7' when I open the jnlp file but I'm using the 1.6.0u37 jdk and haven't installed the 1.7 version
Which version launches the jnlp and how? This is browser independent, isn't it?
greetings

jedo
  • 1. Re: simple jnlp question
    EJP Guru
    You must have a JRE 7 installed.
  • 2. Re: simple jnlp question
    gimbal2 Guru
    EJP wrote:
    You must have a JRE 7 installed.
    Certainly not! The question was:
    Which version launches the jnlp and how?
    The answer is: the runtime installed, which just happens to be java 6. The second question was how: through Java webstart. Java 6 is perfectly capable to webstart software.

Of course it will see that Java 7 is required in the JNLP file and then refuse service ;)

Yeah yeah I know, you were drilling through to the real question behind the question. Just let me dream.
  • 3. Re: simple jnlp question
    matbroughty Newbie
    Hello user1107924

I think you were asking why does the Java splash screen show Java 7 when you only have Java 6 installed? I have seen this too.

http://www.broughty.com/images/Java7Spash.JPG

In my experience it has been when Java 7 has previously been installed and then uninstalled somehow the spash screen still shows a Java version that no longer exists. Not sure why. JWS is generally pretty flaky and there are a couple of people on these boards who are full of contempt for all questions which doesn't help (see the 2nd response).

Edited by: matbroughty on Nov 22, 2012 8:50 AM
  • 4. Re: simple jnlp question
    jmz931 Newbie
    thank you matbroughty!! that was exactly the screen I see.. maybe the person before I, installed and then uninstalled java 7 in this machine
    thanks!!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points