This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2012 1:37 PM by 732230 RSS

Data Transfer / Communication between Live Applications

732230 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Gurus,

I am basically an E-Business Sutie Developer. This is my first experience posting questions in Application and Architecture community.

Please read the following and let me know if this is the correct thread to post this question also it would be appreciable if you could provide suggestions / solutions for my question.

Q:

We are on E-Bus Suite 11.5.9 with custom applications built using Oracle Forms. Recently one of our department decided to buy a custom software to replace one of the application. There are other applications which we built still running in E-Bus Suite. The custom software is based on .NET and SQL Server. We at IT rite now researching how to data transfer between our existing applications and the new software. They both were in different platforms.

This is a new initiative for us because all these years we use to work on oracle applications and this is the first time where we have to go away from our forte. This could be simple for people with experience in related field but this is challenging for us.

Your views and suggestions are highly valuable.

Thank You.

Karthik.
  • 1. Re: Data Transfer / Communication between Live Applications
    972017 Newbie
    Hi Karthik,

currentlly we have number of tools and tecloges we have

if you want transfar bulk data beetween application go for any ETL tools like ODI,goldngate....

Data Transfer / Communication between Live Applications oracle AIA,OSB is better for this kind of transfarmtion

Thanks,
    Ram
  • 2. Re: Data Transfer / Communication between Live Applications
    732230 Newbie
    Hi,

Thank You for the reply. Below are the notes from person who already did some of the research. I am not sure whether to go with the below mentioned or to research more...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Below are the following options to load data from SQL server to Oracle, I read limited on each option. See if something convince you and I will explore more on that option..

1.     Linked Servers: Linked Servers can be setup on the SQL server instance and then data can be pushed out to the Oracle schema.
    a. Limitation in terms of data type supported by provider/ODBC driver used for creating
    linked servers, Performance good for decent size tables
    b. Advantage: All SLQ based
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188279.aspx
    http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/35943/How-to-Config-Linked-Servers-in-a-Minute

2.     Oracle Hetereogeneous services: This is Oracle’s answer to Microsoft’s linked servers. By setting it up,
    this can be used to pull data from SQL server db and load to Oracle.
    Same limitations and advantages as 1.
    http://www.csee.umbc.edu/portal/help/oracle8/server.815/a67784/hs_ch6.htm

3.     DTS (Data Trnasformation Services) or SSIS (SQL Server Integration Services) : Microsoft SQL server 2000 comes
    with DTS and SQL 2005 with SSIS.
    SSIS is robust than DTS for this job and can be used to load data up in the Oracle Schema.
    These tools can be used to provide a real ETL process for data loading.

4.     Scripting Framework: Scripts can be written to bcp data from a SQL servere db and then use SQL Loader to
    load data to oracle schema

5.     Third Party tools: A couple of third party tools also provide these options.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points