This discussion is archived
14 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2013 8:07 AM by 800381 RSS

Migrating SamQFS over to new hardware and new OS

975575 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
We are currently running SAM QFS 5.3 and we are trying to move the current File System over to our new hardware and run it under a new OS. Would like to know what steps to take to bring up the filesystem on the new hardware.

Thanks!
  • 1. Re: Migrating SamQFS over to new hardware and new OS
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    ... we are trying to move the current File System over to our new hardware and run it under a new OS
    What hardware?
    What OS ?
    (or is that information a secret?)

Don't you think that might have some influence on whether you can accomplish what you hope to do?
  • 2. Re: Migrating SamQFS over to new hardware and new OS
    975575 Newbie
    We are moving from a Sun blade X6250 onto a Super Micro 2U Twin server, and moving from Solaris to Open Solaris. I understand that others are running under a similar setup and did not think there would be any hardware constraints.

Thanks for your response!
  • 3. Re: Migrating SamQFS over to new hardware and new OS
    800381 Explorer
    OK, why?

Why would you set up a SAMFS archive, with apparently important data worth quite a bit of $$$, and then migrate it to what looks to be an unsupported hardware/software configuration? Figure your savings, then convert that to system admin man hours. If you get more than a couple of days worth of man hours per year, I'd be surprised.
  • 4. Re: Migrating SamQFS over to new hardware and new OS
    975575 Newbie
    Not a helpful response...

"Why?" Because we are moving to new hardware.

Wasn't expecting criticism of our move to new hardware, but a little bit of direction. Anyone with any real advice please feel free to assist.

Thanks!

Edited by: 972572 on Nov 27, 2012 12:42 PM
  • 5. Re: Migrating SamQFS over to new hardware and new OS
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    You do also realize that, strictly speaking, OpenSolaris no longer exists.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opensolaris
    Quoting from that Wikipedia link:
    On January 6, 2010, it was announced that Solaris Express program would be closed while an OpenSolaris binary release was scheduled to be released March 26 of 2010.[24] The OpenSolaris 2010.03 release never appeared.
    The OpenIndiana fork proceeds, but at a slow pace.

If you are going to proceed by using low cost or essentially free hardware/OS configuration, at least pick an OS that can afford you the opportunity to get robust support if you ever need it. That would suggest Oracle Linux or Ubuntu for your SuperMicro box.

Now, after saying that, your choice of hardware and OS has now taken your inquiry beyond the scope of these forums. There is no OpenSolaris OS help here, nor any SuperMicro hardware help.
  • 6. Re: Migrating SamQFS over to new hardware and new OS
    975575 Newbie
    Noted.

Thank you for your time.
  • 7. Re: Migrating SamQFS over to new hardware and new OS
    800381 Explorer
    972572 wrote:
    Not a helpful response...

"Why?" Because we are moving to new hardware.

Wasn't expecting criticism of our move to new hardware, but a little bit of direction. Anyone with any real advice please feel free to assist.

Thanks!

Edited by: 972572 on Nov 27, 2012 12:42 PM
    That was real advice.

You haven't thought through the consequences of choosing to put an effectively dead OS on an unsupported hardware platform, and now apparently you're going to try to install SAMFS on top of that stack.

You have properly licensed SAMFS, haven't you?

So, you're running an expensive HSM system, with a lot of valuable and important data stored on it. And you plan on trying to save a few thousand dollars (at most) by rolling your own hardware and software stack underneath that HSM? How many man-hours at probably over $100 each do you plan on spending on making that work, and keeping that working, without any chance of expert help when it goes belly-up for some unknown reason?

Hell, all the testing you're going to have to do just to make sure that setup appears to work is probably going to cost your employer more than a decade of support fees. And all that time you spend will be providing no real value to your employer - because you're reinventing the wheel.

Let me guess - you've already bought the servers under this wonderful "cost saving" plan, and now you're stuck. Which is why you're labeling as not "real advice" anything that says your plan is going to add a boatload of risk to lots of very important data while winding up costing a whole lot more.
  • 8. Re: Migrating SamQFS over to new hardware and new OS
    user12587250 Newbie
    Here is an extract of the SAM 5.3 documentation

SAM-QFSManager and SunQFS 5.3 software requires the following minimum operating
    system releases:
    ■ Oracle Solaris 10 10/08 or later
    ■ Oracle Solaris 11

I think the last version of OpenSolaris is lower than Solaris 10 10/08 so it means that you plan to migrate to a non supported OS release. Can be a problem today but it will certainly be a problem in the future.

Also some enhancements of SAM 5.3 release requires to run it on Solaris 11.

Rgds
  • 9. Re: Migrating SamQFS over to new hardware and new OS
    800381 Explorer
    user12587250 wrote:
    Here is an extract of the SAM 5.3 documentation

SAM-QFSManager and SunQFS 5.3 software requires the following minimum operating
    system releases:
    ■ Oracle Solaris 10 10/08 or later
    ■ Oracle Solaris 11

I think the last version of OpenSolaris is lower than Solaris 10 10/08 so it means that you plan to migrate to a non supported OS release. Can be a problem today but it will certainly be a problem in the future.

Also some enhancements of SAM 5.3 release requires to run it on Solaris 11.

Rgds
    I'd say OpenSolaris would best be described as a separate, parallel Solaris-type OS such that you can't really compare OpenSolaris to any Solaris release. Lots of features from OpenSolaris have definitely found their way into Solaris, especially Solaris 11, but often in different form and almost certainly with distinct and specific differences.

Avoiding thousands of dollars of licensing and support fees so you can spend tens of thousands of dollars of man hours making your hundreds of thousands of dollars of hardware work so data for a multi-million dollar effort is stored without any possibility of expert support.

That's priceless.
  • 10. Re: Migrating SamQFS over to new hardware and new OS
    975575 Newbie
    Don't kill the messenger!

I am a sys admin just trying to help. So lets say I recommend Solaris 10 or 11, can we get back to the original issue of migrating it over to new hardware?

What are the files that need to be moved over to the new system and where do they go?

Thats all I am looking for. Not a sales pitch for what hardware we should or shouldn't be using. That is not my decision. I appreciate all the comments and it has definitely affected my perspective at the very least but I am not the one that needs convincing. I shouldn't have said it was not real advice, because it definitely was, but it did not answer the question. We are not trying to reinvent the wheel, just trying to keep it rolling.
  • 11. Re: Migrating SamQFS over to new hardware and new OS
    975575 Newbie
    If the licensing fees were only 'thousands of dollars' we wouldn't be having this discussion...
  • 12. Re: Migrating SamQFS over to new hardware and new OS
    800381 Explorer
    Are you replacing your entire SAMFS archive with new disks/tapes, or just rehosting the disks/tapes on new servers?

If you have new hardware (tapes and disks) you can just stand up the new system and copy the data over. It might very well take a LONG time, though, even if you're copying over multiple 10 gbps links.

If you're just planning on rehosting the existing tapes and disks on new servers, you're pretty much stuck with SAMFS and therefore Solaris because you probably don't have any other place to put the data while you transfer the existing hardware over to some other non-SAMFS system.
  • 13. Re: Migrating SamQFS over to new hardware and new OS
    975575 Newbie
    Good Question, Thanks for the reply.

We are still using the 'old' Storage tek 6140 CSM200_R, but yes we are trying to attach and host with a new server.

We have stood up the new server running Solaris 10. We can see the fc-fabric and we can even see the WWNs of the Storage Tek controllers with cfgadm -al. The problem is now we aren't having any luck 'configuring' the controllers. Even after running 'cfgadm -c configure c2' we see the following:

# cfgadm -c configure c2
    cfgadm: Library error: failed to create device node: <WWN>: Invalid argument
    failed to create device node:<WWN>: Invalid argument
    Operation partially successful. Some failures seen

tried to restart the ports, but still no success. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  • 14. Re: Migrating SamQFS over to new hardware and new OS
    800381 Explorer
    Run this in a bash shell:

for port in `fcinfo hba-port | grep Port | awk '{ print $4 }'`; do
    fcinfo remote-port -ls -p $port
    done

That should show you everything your HBAs can see on your FC SAN.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points