This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2012 5:27 AM by 947440 RSS

How to make metadata fields required when creating folders

947440 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello all....

Related issue with SR 3-6472229431 and SR 3-6471130611.
We're using DIS 11.1.6 64-bits (2011_11_29 (rev 9756) 11.1.6.97) in a Windows 7 64-bits workstation (with UCM 11.1.1.5 in a Linux machine). The check-in of images to UCM goes fine.
I'm trying to make some metadata fields required when creating a folder. These fields are required when making a check-in, but not when creating folders.
Folders_g is enabled. DesktopTag too.
EDIT: Patch: 14695303 - WCC 11.1.1.5.0 BUNDLE ( MLR 16 ) NOV 6 2012 applied.

Is it possible?

Thanks for all.

Edited by: fgomes on 22/11/2012 03:24
  • 1. Re: How to make metadata fields required when creating folders
    William Phelps Expert
    It's possible, but largely unnecessary. Folders are a really nice contribution mechanism, but you're dreaming if you are expecting users to add folders with the correct metadata attributes.

Information is generally applied to the folder only for the purpose of automatic assignment of metadata to the content being checked into the folder. You can get the same "required" functionality for DIS if you set the "prompt for metadata" flag on the folder itself (and optionally a profile trigger value). When a user drags a file into the folder from DIS, the user is presented with a checkin form, where you've already set your "requirement" for data entry. The checkin can't complete if the required fields are missing.

Setting a profile trigger on the folder itself will default this checkin popup to the specified profile to tailor the checkin experience.
  • 2. Re: How to make metadata fields required when creating folders
    947440 Newbie
    Hi.

Even if I check the "Prompt for metadata" box, when I click with the right mouse button and select "New Folder" this won't happen.

I did the following:
    - created a folder and checked the box
    - created another folder inside, there was no pop up requesting the metadata
    - moved an image to the first folder (with the box checked) and the metadata was prompted

So, when creating folders, this action won't happen.
    Even if I create folders using the option in UCM (in browser) the fields won't be required.

How can we set a profile trigger to fire when creating folders?

Thanks!
  • 3. Re: How to make metadata fields required when creating folders
    William Phelps Expert
    After reading your response and rereading the original question a bit closer, the metadata prompting feature does not apply to creating new folders, only content.

Again, though, I think the focus here is in the wrong place. The metadata applied to a folder is intended to be ultimately applied to the content. You can build global rules that fire on submission of content to check if a field has a value, and throw an error if the value is empty.

If you expect users to create folders (and actually apply any metadata to the actual folder itself), you will be disappointed. Experience shows that users are not interested in that level of detail when creating content, let alone folders. Letting typical users create folders is a bad idea anyway, as they tend to create the same inefficient folder structures they previously created in file shares within Content Server.

If you need to tightly control folder attributes, you'll be better served by locking down the ability to create new folders. Otherwise you're looking at some type of customization. Keep in mind that you won't be able to customize the right click behavior of DIS. Any changes to DIS would have to be an enhancement request.
  • 4. Re: How to make metadata fields required when creating folders
    947440 Newbie
    Thanks for that...

Oracle support said the same.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points