2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2012 7:44 AM by Honza RSS

Data Pump Parallel degree

Honza
      Hello,

I have an impdp job running a long time and I suspect this might be because of a too high degree of parallelism. Right now it takes about a minute for even a login session to be created.

Is there a way to lower this number in the middle of an import? I can see the degree in DBA_DATAPUMP_JOBS and the corresponding sessions. Can I update this Data Pump table to reduce the number of sessions created by Data Pump? What comes to mind is by updating the DEGREE column, but it seems risky.

On a related subject, hat are the general rules for deciding on a number of parallel processes?

This is on Oracle 11.2.0.3.

Thank you and best regards.
        • 1. Re: Data Pump Parallel degree
          12cdb
          I can see the degree in DBA_DATAPUMP_JOBS and the corresponding sessions. Can I update this Data Pump table to reduce the number of sessions created by Data Pump? What comes to mind is by updating the DEGREE column, but it seems risky.
          You should not be updating any data pump table.
          You can use command line interface and connect to the import session doing the job.

impdp -help (look at the bottom section)
          The following commands are valid while in interactive mode. Note: abbreviations are allowed.
          PARALLEL: Change the number of active workers for current job.

I have not done it but it seems the parameter PARALLEL can help you.
          • 2. Re: Data Pump Parallel degree
            Honza
            Perfect, thank you.

It did not solve the problem of slow index importing, but it is correct :-)