This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2012 3:58 PM by Nasar RSS

BI admin tool : Oracle OLAP vs ODBC3.5 OCI 10g/11g ...

972351 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi everyone,

I'm facing a problem when I try to create a repository using Oracle BI admin Tool.

In the second step of Create new repository , I have to choose between a lot of connexion types : ODBC3.5 , Oracle OLAP, OCI 10g/11g .... I don't know which of them I need to choose in my case.

In my case, I have a cube that I created using AWM, and I need to make a report that is based on that cube.

I don't really know how to proceed ...

I have Oracle BI is in a Unix server , and I installed Oracle BI admin tool client in my Windows 7.

Any idea which connexion type I should use, do I need to make an ODBC connexion for all of them ?

My comprehension of this is unclear ... any help ?

Thx all !!
  • 1. Re: BI admin tool : Oracle OLAP vs ODBC3.5 OCI 10g/11g ...
    JaiG Pro
    Since AWM is an Oracle OLAP analytic workspace tool, you would choose Oracle OLAP connection type/data source to bring in cubes. For more info refer to this post: http://www.rittmanmead.com/2011/05/untitled-1/

Please mark if helpful/correct.
  • 2. Re: BI admin tool : Oracle OLAP vs ODBC3.5 OCI 10g/11g ...
    972351 Newbie
    ok, thanks !
  • 3. Re: BI admin tool : Oracle OLAP vs ODBC3.5 OCI 10g/11g ...
    972351 Newbie
    And any idea about what the other connexion types are for ? If used with the AWM cube, will they lead to a result too ?

thx
  • 4. Re: BI admin tool : Oracle OLAP vs ODBC3.5 OCI 10g/11g ...
    Nasar Journeyer
    Starting with OBIEE 11.1.1.5, as it understands Oracle-OLAP metadata in Oracle data dictionary, so to query data from OLAP Analytical workspaces you will always use "Oracle OLAP" as the source in BI-Admin-Tool.

When you will create report in OBIEE, it will then generate the query using the OLAP_TABLE sql function.

Note that automatically generated CUBE_TABLE views in OLAP (the ones suffixed with _VIEW) are not used at all (or even needed) when working with OBIEE 11.1.1.5+.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points