This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2012 5:12 AM by gimbal2 RSS

basic java question

jmz931 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
hello all.. my question is very simple.. if I compile and sign an applet with the jdk 1.6.0_37... can a user sees it without problems if he/she has a lower version of java?
I'm doing some tests and I can see the applet with a lower version (jdk 1.6.0_21) but .. there is any posible problem?
greetings

jedo
  • 1. Re: basic java question
    Kayaman Guru
    user1107924 wrote:
    hello all.. my question is very simple.. if I compile and sign an applet with the jdk 1.6.0_37... can a user sees it without problems if he/she has a lower version of java?
    Not unless the applet has been compiled with the target flag to target a lower version.
    I'm doing some tests and I can see the applet with a lower version (jdk 1.6.0_21) but .. there is any posible problem?
    Of course you'll always have the lower versions working with a newer one, but not the other way around.
  • 2. Re: basic java question
    EJP Guru
    Having said that, there should be no problems within a version, e.g. the two releases of 1.6 that you mention.
  • 3. Re: basic java question
    gimbal2 Guru
    EJP wrote:
    Having said that, there should be no problems within a version, e.g. the two releases of 1.6 that you mention.
    Well, not counting the many patches to security holes that Oracle introduced. Applets can work on one minor version and completely fail on a newer release depending on what they do.

But since the OP mentions compiling and testing against the latest version, probably that will be a non-issue.
  • 4. Re: basic java question
    jmz931 Newbie
    thanks you ;)... mmm, so that mean that to avoid any problems, I should compile the applet in the latest 1.7 version?
    for what I understood for your replies, maybe if the user uses a newer version (and different number version) than the one I use to compile the applet (1.6.0_37), like any 1.7 version... maybe some problems could happen, am I wrong?
    thanks in advance
  • 5. Re: basic java question
    gimbal2 Guru
    The possibility is always there, but the risk should be minimal if the applet does nothing that can conflict with the Applet sandbox security model. What you should do is TEST your applet against both Java 6 and Java 7; I would target Java 6 for now if you can because many people simply do not have Java 7 installed.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points